Walmart - Not a disgruntled ex-employee, just disappointed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Not a disgruntled ex-employee, just disappointed"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and bonus's are pretty good. Employee discount of 10% which is nice.

Cons

They preach "work life balance" where in reality you are expected to work unrealistic hours. Healthcare insurance horribly expensive and huge out of pocket expense with very high deductibles.
Very political, if you can't talk a good game and build relationships in high places to further your own career then you may not fit.

Advice to Management

Old Management, just because you have been there for over 20 years doesn't mean you are a leader or providing anything positive to the growth and stability of the company. Believe it or not people below Director level have good ideas too.
The definition of Mentoring or Coaching does not mean beating people down to build them up.
It is unethical to require (or expect with retaliation if not) participation in charitable contributions that come out of your salary. People are watched and belittled for their contributions or desire not to contribute. Giving should come from the heart not because it is career limiting not to.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "its okay"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good part-time job for balancing school and work life.

Cons

pay isn't great, can be stressful environment, not exactly a happy or good environment to work in

Advice to Management

Treat employees and customers better.

2. "First job and surely the worst."

Former Employee - Fabrics, Customer Service, Money Center, Electronics, Wireless, CSM in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about the job is the co-workers. Obviously you aren't going to like everybody, but if you get a department thta suits you, generally youll like the crew you're with. I was in electronics and it was an awesome group of people.

Cons

Management and customers. If those two things weren't there, it would have been a great job, but management is always breathing down your back being hypocritical (get off your phone! ....as they have their phone in hand texting) and making you do a job that isn't yours, while you get yelled at for something else that isn't done that somebody else was supposed to do...you get the picture. And THE CUSTOMERS! OMFG. I've never had to endure such harassment and still have to SMILE AT THEM. They want nothing more than to squeeze as much money out of the company and possible, and I wouldn't care except it doesn't hurt the big CEO's and such, but it hurts the little guys Christmas bonus that doesn't make up for the already shi**y pay. And I had one lady who only wanted to brag about how awesome she was because she was a teacher and had a bachelors degree and to tell me how horrible I was because I was still working at walmart (and are you going to do THIS for the rest of your life?) No joke, not exaggerating. The same lady did it to multiple employees, not just me. It was awful. There's more, so much more, but that should be enough to give you and idea. Don't get me wrong, if you need a job apply and get in. You can move up quickly through the ranks (went from fabrics associate, level 3, to Customer Service Manager, level 6 in just 4 1/2 months). As long as you can put up with major bu****it, its a consistent paying job.

Advice to Management

Lay off of the little guys, its not their fault there are only two people running a department that needs a minimum of five people. Say thank you. If you ask for some special task to be done, then it cant hurt and it only takes a second. Seriously, it matters. And for gods sake please back us up in front of customers. If we're following policy and you come and act like you're holier than thou and make us look stupid in front of a customer, we're very likely to walk out and take a half hour break. Its a shitty thing to do.