Walmart - The Walton's should feel ashamed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"The Walton's should feel ashamed"

Current Employee - Shift Manager
Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am grateful to have a job that allows me the luxury to support my family. My pay is decent but not enough for all that I go through. The company talks a good game but lacks the ability to put their money where their mouth is.

Cons

I just can't believe that the Walton's are among the wealthiest people in the world and they choose to let their hourly associates live in poverty and pay so little that the associates have to get support from the government in order to survive. I feel embarrassed sometimes that I am witness to this horrible reality and can't do much about it. I do give some of my money when I see certain associates really struggling but I'm am not rich by any means.

Advice to Management

Enforce the work/life balance plan. In my store it has never happened and my Manager will never do it unless he is forced because he feels that the managers will get disconnected. I will tell you that they are getting disconnected just by the resentment building up that they are treated so poorly.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Current Store Manager, used to love Wal-Mart, now, hate it."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to move up with little/no education, prepares you for other retail jobs, very detailed policies for everything

Cons

used to care about it's associates, now, they are simply bodies. understaffed, when I started, I had 5 associates just in my pets department... now I have 5 associates in the entire salesfloor in the evening. every year we cut payroll but add responsibility. We are micro-managed by corporate.. everyday I hear about a tour from the regional compliance mgr, regional asset protection mgr, buyers from the home office, market mgr, mkt or regional HR mgr, Regional merchandise mgr. Which means we have to break routine to accomodate what these managers will be looking for. Walmart sends too much direction from too many people.. just the other day, my manager found a bad pack of berries and told me I should write up my assistant manager because he should have seen it before we did.. I make $83,000 per year, just had an excellent visit from the regional manager, my sales increases are top 5 in the state and I am leaving this company for something that pays less.. why?? because Wal-Mart does not care about it's employees, and I cannot be a part of that.

Advice to Management

cut the direction in half, find ways to cut costs in order to afford more employees, don't blanket manage your stores, what works in the country doesn't work in the city, etc. bring back merit raises for the hourly associates, they can barely afford to live. stop micro-managing, work on your inventory control programs to make them more associate friendly

2. "over-worked and underpaid"

Current Employee - Customer Service Desk in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Desk in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity for advancement
    they aren't too strict about being on time
    easy to request off days

Cons

don't keep employee safe from crazy customers
    never get maximum raise no matter how hard you try .40 cents a yr is it
    always getting yelled at by customers for long lines, low stock
    inconsistent return policy, so employee don't know what to follow

Advice to Management

stop worrying about your bonus and schedule more people