Walmart - Wal-Mart Sucks!!!!! | Glassdoor

"Wal-Mart Sucks!!!!!"

Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you work hard and produce the results they set for you. This sounds easy...but if you are put in a bad location it can be difficult. Home Office benefits are great! Company culture is good in theory. Good pay for Home Office associates.

Cons

Poor pay, especially for hourly associates in the stores. Poor management, almost throughout the company. Not associate centered at all! It's all about the numbers...and believe me you are just a number. Will do anything to have to not pay you what you are worth or based upon experience. Good old boys club for sure...if you don't know someone, or are a man, you probably won't be going anywhere. I personally had 7 supervisors in a two year period, and at one time I had 2 supervisor at the same time in different departments. I was marked down on my evaluation because I didn't progress the program. But, who could with that many supervisors, all changing direction each time I moved.

Advice to Management

Grow some balls and do what is right instead of always cowering down to your superiors. Push back some, if you know that it is the right thing to do. Treat people like you say you treat them. Quit retaliating against people who question authority. Have a little bit of consistency across the board. All in all, just have some morals!

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Company talks big about employee treatment, falls very short"

Current Employee - Third Shift Stocker in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Third Shift Stocker in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a third shift shelf stocker, the physical aspect of the job if great for people who love to organize and get a good workout while being paid. The open stock options for employees are great, but management is ill-equipped to answer in-depth questions about it. Working around the store broadens your scope of product knowledge, which has come in handy when personally shopping.

Cons

Where to start... There's always big talk about how Sam Walton was a great man who cared about his employees and customers, but the policies and actions of management fall short of respecting associates. For instance, WalMart hires people under the label of "part time". but will have them scheduled to work full time. Getting the most out of people without giving them the benefits. During Holiday weeks, they will cut a day from employee schedules if they have to work on the Holiday, so the Holiday pay is pointless and they actually make less that week for working harder. Mangers who have been with the stores for years are cliquey, automatically favoring people who fit into their group regardless of work ethic because they know they're too valuable to get in trouble. Third shift associates are rudely encouraged to stay late past the end of their shift, some managers even guarding the door or time clock so they can make snide remarks for associates who try to go home. One father was even prevented from leaving to take his son to school because the support manager blocked his path to leave an aisle in grocery until he was done zoning. And the over time gained from that? If you've been their for years and are friends with the managers, you get to keep it. If not, you have to cut it by either taking an extra long lunch break, or come in late the next night. And if the latter, if the next night's manager is not the same one who told you to come in late, you get a mark for tardiness. Mangers rely completely on computer training, which doesn't compare to real work because many of the rules and guidelines don't apply. I was written up within 2 weeks of working their because I had no hands-on training and was put alone an in area I had never worked. WalMart judges employee performance based on "tasks", computer timed assignments that we log in and off of when we're done with an area. The pressure to complete a task on time is constant, often resulting in people letting quality and customer interactions fail just so they won't be scolded by a manager for going over. Ridicule over third shift is accepted by mangers, who enforce rules on third shift that they let slip for day shift.

Practices like these cause good workers to become jaded, and re-enforce bad habits in not-so good workers.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like expendable things. If you're going to preach the ways of Sam Walton, act like it.

2. "Working at Wal-Mart"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Evendale, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, friendly co-workers, fun enviroment to work in.

Cons

Sometimes the whole store isnt on the same page when it comes to rules and policies they wish for you to follow.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone in management are explaining the same rules and policies and not telling employees different things.