Walmart - Love It! | Glassdoor

"Love It!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Walmart as an intern

Pros

This is a great place to work for. They have nice benefits and a fun atmosphere. Everyone was friendly.

Cons

Can sometimes have long hours. The pay is not high enough. Does not have that much internship jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Why you don't want to work for Walmart, the Worst Company in America"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. I can't even think of any pros to shopping there let alone working there.

Cons

1) Low pay, part-time positions. To avoid paying overtime, if you come too close to working over 40 hours in a week, management will force you to take longer unpaid lunch periods to shave off time from your schedule rather than have you come in late or leave early. As if you have nothing better to do than sit in the breakroom for 3 hours.

2) Unaffordable benefits with extremely high deductibles

3) Repeated denials for vacation requests (eg. for your child's birthday party, even when requested months in advance... even if you are a part-time employee who gets scheduled 20 hrs a week), and at the end of the year, unused vacation/personal time DOES NOT roll over and you ARE NOT compensated for it... YOU LOSE IT.

4) Expectations to do things that are not part of your job description (eg. cleaning bathrooms, cleaning messes including vomit or blood, shopping cart collecting)

5) No proper training, leading to unattainable expectations. If a person is not trained to do a task, they are still expected to do it.

6) Unreliable, malfunctioning equipment; due to this, a person cannot perform their job properly, yet 120% is still expected of them

7) Extremely unreliable schedule; forced to keep "open availability" so you can be scheduled until midnight and then to come in the next morning at 6 am.

Walmart will spread out 20 hours over 6 days, often scheduling 4-hour shifts.

Also, in my case, the zone manager was constantly changing the schedule after it was published (3 weeks in advance, by the way), and he would not communicate the changes, so when I was late or didn't show up because he had changed around my schedule and neglected to inform me, he would write me up for it. He threatened my job and potential of a raise because of it. After receiving a negative annual review due to it, I reported his negligence to upper management and was subsequently fired the very next day. To make matters worse, when I applied for unemployment, Walmart fought it.

8) Constantly, purposely understaffed, thus Customer Service Managers (and other positions such as Dept. Managers) are overworked and expected to do the work of 3 or more employees, all on part-time hours, with new tasks being added all the time (think 50 hrs of work in a 22 hr week). When employees cannot meet the unattainable expectations, they are reprimanded, threatened, and sometimes terminated. Adding insult to injury, when a wrongfully terminated person files for unemployment benefits, Walmart fights it.

9) Useless upper management that hides most of the time and threatens front-end management if called up to the front for help on unmanned registers during busy times (due to being continuously understaffed)

10) Terribly high employee turn-around

11) Walmart wants only yes-men. If you have an opinion about anything, if you feel that you have any basic rights as a human being let alone as an employee, if you believe that you earn your paycheck rather than are given a paycheck as a privilege or gift, then you definitely do not want to work for Walmart.

I worked for Walmart for four years and I and my family learned early on that Walmart will go out of their way to purposely abuse their employees just to save a penny, in ways that no other company has ever even thought to attempt. They are unethical and greed-driven, and they abuse and treat their employees like slaves, causing undue stress and mental anguish… all for a paycheck that you cannot survive on. As a Customer Service Manager I was being paid $18K annually. My part-time weekly schedule was unpredictable and unreliable, and I was under constant stress and pressure and my job was always being threatened because of things that were 100% beyond my control and had nothing to do with my performance. I was working my hardest, giving my all, and doing a great job (I had other employees and customers constantly complimenting and thanking me), and was treated as if I was stupid and useless, and being threatened by my managers, until when I complained about the zone manager who was constantly changing the schedule after he published it without informing me of the changes, I was fired. I should have quit much sooner, but when you are treated that way, you feel so badly about yourself and you begin to believe that you are worthless so that you are afraid to leave. (Not to mention, the job market is bad, despite what the news says.) You do not want to work here. You are better than Walmart, and you don't deserve to be treated like they treat people. If you're a Walmart shopper, you are already familiar with the fact that they don't care about their customers, you probably hate shopping there, and you probably have also witnessed the fact that they treat their employees poorly. You've seen the documentaries, you've shopped there, you've read the news articles, and maybe you've seen the websites dedicated to warning people about the unfairness of Walmart. It's all true. Every terrible word of it.

2. "Big box global corporate retail experience"

Pros

Great opportunity to work with people with unlimited professional experience.
    Unlimited options to obtain large scale work experience in multiple business areas.

Cons

Due to large size of company one can get lost with so much going on at the same time.

Advice to Management

Continue work on talent development programs for all levels of leadership development.