Walmart - This is the greatest professional experience I have ever had. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"This is the greatest professional experience I have ever had."

Current Employee - Analyst in Bentonville, AR
Current Employee - Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Where do i even start.

This position is a blast, and it is one that I never guessed I would ever find myself doing in my wildest dream. I analyze social media for one of the most hated and talked about retailers in the US: what is not to love about that??

The people are extremely nice. All of them are very helpful and accessible (I was greeted in the hallways on my way to the cafeteria and then did a double-take when I realized the fellow i just passed was the CEO). During my first week I learned someone I thought was a fellow analyst and was pestering with questions was actually a senior manager; when I learned and profusely apologized he insisted that I continue asking him any question I needed.

The company is enormous, but it feels extremely tight-knit and they work very hard to make it seem this way. It is a really great feeling, because it feels so much like any other position (balancing long and short-term projects, gathering data and making reports) that I have to stop and remind myself every once in a while that I am working for the big bad guy.

Advancement and cross-training is very strongly encouraged, and I am looking forward to continuing my career in the company by switching to something else should social media not hold my attention.

We have access to an enormous array of very advanced tools, some really cutting edge stuff, to do our work. If we need a different functionality, all we must do is ask and we either already have something for that purpose, or we can request a sample and those companies would be happy to provide.

The employees here are brilliant. I feel as though I stepped into an Ivy League forum sometimes because the caliber of the people here is unreal. It is awesome for me because I feel constantly improve and do better, which helps me feel so much better about my work when I have a report that I feel is better than one I sent out yesterday.

The office is has all the amenities: coffee, cafeteria, little store, fed-ex; there is access to the health club and to Sam's Club which you can opt in for; apparently there is childcare as well and other stuff for families.

Finally, the work itself is a blast. I used to do check on social media trends for my own enjoyment during school, so spending 9 hours a day doing it and getting to tell people about what I found for pay is even better!

Cons

No offense to the residents, but Bentonville sucks. There is very little to do here.

-The home office is very spartan, and all of the brand coloring and logos and lettering looks more at home in a pre-school than a major retailer.

-The organization is massive. I know who I directly report to, but I have no idea who anyone else is around me.

-The organization is enormous and while there are all sorts of programs for the associates, it is impossible to find information about them all and learn what they are and how to join them.

-Did I mention the organization is large? For me, it is hard to understand where I personally fit in. This makes it hard to track your own worth, since you hand in a report to your direct supervisor and you are not likely to see what happens to the information and whether/how it leads to a decision once they pass it on to the "management black hole". Some of the older managers don't understand social, so beyond pointing to a couple of big wins, it is hard for me to communicate understand how I am adding value on a day to day basis, because I can only speculate.

-no discount card for the first 90 days.

-No health insurance for the hourly home office associates.

-Yes I know about peopleofwalmart.com. No, I don't think its funny, because I believe "those" customers deserve the same respect as the "normal" person taking the picture.

Advice to Management

Couple things:

-the internal website is completely unusable. You have to have someone helping you every step along the way to find the one poorly named tool you are looking for if it is not on the front page, because there is no other way to find it. Needs a better and more intuitive layout.

-Get together a big old folder (it can even be a single massive Welcome email to all new hires!) and any organization that wants new members puts their contact info into the folder so that we have a list of all of the on-campus groups and things we can participate in. You have all of these groups for your employees (toast-masters, community involvement, sports team), but why are you not telling new hires about them!?

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Decent"

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Cape Girardeau, MO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, annual raises, and stability,

Cons

Little pay, repetitive work and not alot of room to move up.

2. "I will never return to the land of eternal sadness."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Post Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Post Falls, ID

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They worked with my school schedule to a point. Initially they seemed to value my work. The work was a little disgusting since I was in the meat department but I wasn't terribly squeamish about it.

Cons

They ultimately didn't want to move me up in the company despite having completed an undergraduate degree in business administration.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people without the skills necessary to lead; promote those that are ready and willing.