Walmart - OK but Anything Else is Better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"OK but Anything Else is Better"

Former Employee - Bakery Associate in Marietta, GA
Former Employee - Bakery Associate in Marietta, GA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy way to earn cash

Cons

Management is always bad. I've seen employees bribe management in order to move up the ladder.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to gain valuable experience working a leadership postion and learning the front lines of the retail industry.

Cons

Don't be fooled like I was by a recruiter after finishing college. Wal-mart has low prices because they maintain low cost operations. The only expenses controllable at store level include wages and markdowns.

Hours for hourly associates consistently being cut leaving Assistant Managers no help to work freight, take care of overstock, and maintain store standards.

Assistant Managers have the only position in the company that relies on annual sales for raises eligibility. The next levels up in management do not receive raises, but can potentially earn very hefty bonuses in regards to meeting annual sales and profit goals.

If you don't meet annualy sales goals, you are deemed a "development needed" status in your annual evaluation, this makes it difficult to transfer or move up in the company. During my 3 years with Wal-Mart I know of 1 Assistant Manager to be promoted to a Shift Manager in that time.

I have worked for the company for 3 years and have not received a raise based on annual sales goals, and I am blamed because of time management and delegation opportunities. Since hours are being cut, there are few associates to delegate work to and freight always needs to be worked..how am I supposed to have time to improve store standards and make it presentable for our customers?

There are over 40 Assistant Managers in my market and fewer than 20 Shift Managers, this makes it very hard to be promoted. Most Assistant Managers have been with the company over 5 years and many have been in their same role for close to or over 10 years. I am a low person on the totem pole and my store's financials leave me pretty much no opportunities for a promotion. I feel I am just treading water check by check.

The only time the stores focus on significantly improving sales floor presentation is when Area Directors and other members of Upper Management plan to visit the store. Its so bad, that stores send their associates to other stores for days to provide adequite help to clean up the store being visited, this obviously leaves the stores sending help short handed..So guess who picks up the slack? Cleaning for upper management and not for everyday customers is wrong and has a negative affect on associate morale.

Also there are mandatory 50 hr work weeks from October to January 1, plus 50 hr work weeks during inventory months, when extra work has to be done they make us, the first level salaried members of managment, work extra for no extra pay or incentive.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Assistant Managers.

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NH

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales associates friendly and fun to work with I looked forward to going to work

Cons

Poor pay, poor benefits, constantly changing hours, no full time positions