Walmart - Focused on production rather than the customer. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Focused on production rather than the customer."

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits are good, clean and safe environment

Cons

Always in a negative mode, fails to acknowledge individual effort, poor training for actual task But rules without consistancy and this discourages creativity.

Advice to Management

Just follow the Respect for the individual motto.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Not A Good Long-Term Job!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rochester, MN

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a cashier, I really enjoyed working with the general public and being able to interact with people. I really felt that it helped me develop and refine my social skills and I found great satisfaction in helping others by being the very best at what I did.

Cons

The management doesn't make you feel like you're valued and part of that is not paying you anywhere near what they should. I worked there for 3 years and they really seemed to do everything they possibly could to take advantage of me without giving a proper return. An example of this was that they did everything that they could to mark you as low as possible for your yearly review so they could give you the lowest pay raise bracket. I had this happen each year despite many customers contacting management (either directly or through emails) complementing me on how well I did my job and how I went above and beyond in all that I did. Don't work at Walmart unless you don't have any other choice, even then try and find a better job the soonest you can.

Advice to Management

You need to show that you genuinely care about your employees and don't just give them a run around. They need to know that you really appreciate the good work that they do and one of the ways you can do that is give them PROPER AND ACCURATE reviews so they actually receive the pay raises they deserve. Please don't just treat your employees as merely replaceable because how you care for your employees is directly related to how well they will take care of your customers.

I think one of the most valuable pieces of advice that I could give for those in management is to try and spend a day or at least part of a day (as time permits) and fill the duties of each position in the store you are able to. This way you can really get to know not only your employee well but you will have a greater awareness of what's going on in your store and you can receive input from everyone that will help your store go above and beyond for the people that get the job done.

As just a side note, Sam Walton was a great, visionary man that took great care of those that worked WITH him. If he could see what Walmart's become I'm sure that he'd be ashamed of it. If Walmart management would slow down and realize that doing the morally right thing is more important than the "All Mighty Dollar" (and gets you further ahead in the long run) then Walmart would honestly become a much better store all around, both for those who work there and those who shop there.

2. "A good company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Less time to provide customer service due to staffing reduction. Hard to perform all tasks.

Advice to Management

Staying lean is always a good practice, but reducing staff until associates are so pressed for time accomplishing all of the routine tasks. Some of the improvements that are meant to make the stores more efficient do improve inventory and on-shelf availability, but they do not necessarily decrease the time needed. I heard so many customers say that "You used to be able to find some help at Walmart, but not any more." I believe Walmart needs to "return to its roots" somewhat, and provide perhaps a slight increase in staffing. Not only will customers be more satisfied, but the associates will be better able to provide customer service, and have the time to better perform the new improvements for inventory tracking and staying stocked.