Walmart - Not what most people think about Walmart | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Not what most people think about Walmart"

Former Employee - Co Manager in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Co Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Security, Rewarding, Room for advancement, Largest company, so that means worldwide.

Cons

Like most workplaces, politics play a huge roll in promotions, if you're liked, you have a better chance ( luckily I was liked) I also did a good job. If you've never worked in retail, you do not have holidays or any other time that most jobs have off, but you get used to it.

Advice to Management

Even as I directed people to the open door policy I knew it didn't really work.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Good place to work for people who are student or trying to retired soon"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work like balance. Good Management team with too many uneducated people in the management. Good training opportunities. Wal-mart has open door policy with a secret retaliation. Most of the management laughs at you in their mind when you complain about their colleagues.

Cons

Walmart does not value education at all. The mentality is that we can take anyone from the street and train them to person tasks. People don't get promoted because of their hard work, rather who they know. ...not a fair place to get promotion at all. Pay more to newly hired people then long term employees.

Advice to Management

Get rid of uneducated and high school passed managers or directors or VPs. Reward people for their contribution and talent, not who they know. If you hire mediocre people, you will get mediocre result.

2. "Hell."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason I started working at Walmart was that I literally had no other options. After being laid off at the tail end of the Recession, I did not have many options. I worked there to pay the bills and that was it. It was not a good experience, hours were long and times were hard. Often asked to stay late. No pros.

Cons

The wages are minimum and the benefits are nonexistent. I work long hard hours and receive compensation that barely meets the living wage. Management is heartless. The company is heartless. It preys on consumers, claiming it has the best deal, when really its products seem to be poisonous and second-rate.

Advice to Management

Pay associates a living wage!