Walmart - Awful place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

See Most Recent

Helpful (1)

"Awful place to work"

StarStarStarStarStar
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Former Employee - Maintenance in Boonville, MO
Former Employee - Maintenance in Boonville, MO
Doesn't Recommend
No opinion of CEO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers and discounts available to employees

Cons

rules,over-time not allowed and if you get it they take it away or make you take off.not enough employees to fill work load.

Advice to Management

be more understanding and don't be so rude and or pushy

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

  1. "Distribution Center Manager"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Salaried Manager in Olney, IL
    Current Employee - Salaried Manager in Olney, IL
    Positive Outlook
    No opinion of CEO

    I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

    Pros

    Good salary, promotion opportunity, different schedule opportunities, beneits

    Cons

    Sometimes Demanding schedule, some managers unmotivated


  2. Helpful (2)

    "Exactly What You'd Expect"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO

    I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

    Pros

    Management gets compensated really well, until you consider that you are expected to give your whole life to the company. If you don't mind sacrificing for the company, though, you can do quite well here. They promote from within, and there is an enormous amount of turnover, which provides opportunities for advancement.

    Cons

    It is a meat grinder. People are viewed as assets and are considered expendable. The company is taking Sam Walton's ideology of control costs to an unhealthy and draconian level. Employee burnout is felt by everyone, including customers. The ranks are stretched too thin to be considered functional, and management is expected to pick up the slack (which works out well for the company as management is salaried).

    I was promised 12 hour shifts on a 3 on, 3 off schedule. For the most part, I had 4 days on and was lucky to have two uninterrupted days off. While I was assured I would be working 36 - 48 hours / week, I usually worked 60+ hours / week, and simply did not see my family at all over the holidays. Hourly Associates are abused even more, as they receive paltry compensation for the work they perform, under unscrupulous processes.

    The P&L statement became a horror. Don't get me wrong, our store was pocketing about $325,000 on a normal week in profit (not sales, mind you, straight profit). Each week, we spent about $18,000 on wages. So, when we were told we couldn't hire the help we needed, this contrast on our income statement was enough to make a manager cringe. I couldn't remain with a company that so blatantly abused and used the workforce that was building its enormous wealth.

    Advice to Management

    A nearly 180 degree turn is needed. People have value, and if an associate is earning you $1,000 week in pure profit (again, not sales, but profit), it is not appropriate to compensate them at minimum wage. The idea that everyone is expendable needs to go away, you are a retail outfit, not an infantry brigade. Nothing that goes on in your stores requires a person to sacrifice their life for you.

    Stop being so simple-minded. A company is in business to make a profit - yes. But if you go no further, you are a fool. You need to start asking why you want to make a profit. If your answer is so that 0.5% of your employees can become obnoxiously wealthy, you are not worthy of the labor of the other 99.5% of your employees. Figure out a better way to manage your P&L. People are not cogs - stop treating them as such.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

See Most Recent

Work at Walmart? Share Your Experiences

Walmart
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
 
Click to Rate
or