Walmart - Fortunate to have had great supervisors and coworkers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Fortunate to have had great supervisors and coworkers."

Former Employee - Department Manager in Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - Department Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Went from part time associate to department manager in less than three months.

Cons

I was left to fend for myself as a new manager and new hires are paid the same as people who have been there for years

Advice to Management

Have someone in charge who is willing to train and mentor.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"After Sam Walton died, Top Level Corporate GREED has taken over-Bottom line - HOURLY workers don't make enough per hour!"

Current Employee - Truck Unloader - Stocker/Receiving in Mount Juliet, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Unloader - Stocker/Receiving in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Walmart has low prices. Everyone likes the positive nice image of "American" company does good. Supply "once in a while" free break room snacks and meals if sales goals have been met. Okay part-time- / 2nd income supplemental job, horrible Full-time job.

Cons

I was a Walmart Assistant Manager in 1995. I left after 6 months, for many reasons, very long hrs., weekends, nights, mornings, afternoons, weekly schedule constantly changing. I then started a landscaping business for many years, and I had to have a job to get me through the Winters, so I usually went to Walmart because they are always hiring, and there is a reason - TURNOVER because of low pay! I have worked in Deli, Cashier, Furniture, Carts, Greeter, & Oil and Tire change. I recently sold my business, so I needed a quick job again while I am looking for a career job. So ONE LAST TIME, I try Walmart- as a Truck unloader / late night stocker, with all my experience they start me at ...$7.65 an hr.! I was desperate, so I had to take it because my wife's income was cut because of an auto accident. I unload trucks for 3-1/2 hrs., no ventilation- 90 degrees outside! We are told "No break until it is all unloaded", even though Federal law says you get a break every 2 hrs. All the Walmarts use Temp workers who change almost every night, because they can't keep anyone because of turnover. Almost everyone has a second job, you can't live on $8.00 an hour. Unloading that truck is so physical, that even at 6'4"-240 lbs., it racks my body for days- all for $7.65- which is beyond insulting! The bottom line is this - they have to pay better- or else the turnover will continue until the end of time. They are the number one company along with McDonald's in taxpayer debt out of our pockets for the number of employees who are on welfare and state aid! In 2013 - they grossed $476.3 billion. They net profited $17 billion. They are a public company- so they have to make enough money to satisfy stockholders, or else their stock tanks, and executives end up getting canned. They claim that if they raise wages, they won't make a profit, and stock will plummet. Not true- Google raised wages 10%, and within a year stock grew 60%. 2012- CEO- Mike Duke had a base pay of $1.2 million, but after stocks and bonuses -took home $23.2 Million - or 1034 times more than the average hourly worker! Top executives and board members made last yr. $66.7 million in pay. So let's say you gave every Walmart employee just $3.00 more per hour at 2.2 million workers worldwide, that equals just $6.6 million taken away from the net profit of $17 billion = $16.993 billion left over for total profit! You mean to tell me they can't spare $6.6 million to at least give each employee around $10.00 an hr.? The answer is THEY CAN, but THEY WON'T! Why- GREED! But if they did pay better wages, they would end up benefiting, because workers would be happier, stay longer, have better morale, and cost Walmart a WHOLE LOT LESS IN TURNOVER COSTS! I can't wait till I find a professional career position soon, and be done with Walmart for good. I actually got my Business Degree in college in Arkansas- and Sam Walton spoke at our school, but he died a year later (1992). I read his book, I at one time looked up to this company. But over the last 20 yrs. they have cut workers pension plans, lowered 401K's, etc. The same old thing - the rich just get richer. But when the most profitable company in the U.S. second only to Exxon / Mobil - can't pay more than $8.00 -hr., it is completely unacceptable! -and if Sam Walton was still alive - I believe that this would not be happening. It is really sad. Truly sad for American workers!

Advice to Management

RAISE PER HOUR WAGES FOR EVERY HOURLY WORKER BY AT LEAST $3.00 PER HOUR! That would eliminate a lot of employee turnover. Bring back EQUALITY and a balance in pay between corporate workers and hourly workers- who do all the actual hard work. Better benefits. Less GREED from the powers that be! Bottom line is the hourly workers are making a wage below poverty level - for the 2nd most powerful company in the U.S. ! PAY BETTER WAGES - PERIOD!

2. "Ok part time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

no pressure, no accountability easy job it does not matter where in the store

Cons

pay is terrible can survive unless you move into a salary management position

Advice to Management

to many of them.