Walmart - Moving to Optical was the best choice I've ever made at Walmart | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Moving to Optical was the best choice I've ever made at Walmart"

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management inside the vision center is amazing and easy to work with. You have a closer contact with corporate, so your ideas have a better chance of being heard and implemented. Compared to the retail environment on the other side of our "glass door," it's a low-stress environment. Quite a pay raise too, as there are many laws you must abide by. On the same note though, this means you're well trained by the time you actually start handling patient orders, as opposed to just being thrown in after a couple of CBLs'. Associates get a 20% discount on the first pair of glasses/contacts, everyone else just gets the same discount on a second pair.

Cons

Thus far, I have not had any issues with the Vision Center specifically. However, as a store, since we're not brand new, the technology is outdated. One of the monitors is still a CRT. The SMART system used for ordering is older than I am, which in terms of technology, is ancient. Also, if you're part time, even if you only work a few hours less than a full-timer, you have to wait twice as long for certain benefits. For instance 2 years for vacation/medical. Also, the company did away with the 90 day evaluation bonus, Sunday compensation, overnight compensation, and they frown on overtime, even when they're incredibly understaffed.

Advice to Management

Please focus on providing the tools needed by your associates to doing their job; by this I mean updating technology so that processes become more streamlined and replacing old technology to avoid major mishaps and slow system response.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Can you have a career at Wal-mart"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can move around and learn different things with out having to change Companies. all kind of shift to fit your life style. 10 Precent discount on merchandise.

Cons

Top heavy management that all have different views of how the store should be run. Their direction is always changing depending on who's in charge. They don't follow the basic belief of respect for the individual.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you really follow the belief 's this company was founded on. Train trust follow up retrain if nessary.

2. "Electronic Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Norman, OK

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with scheduling in most departments. Some good hard working people. Lots of veterans. Good first job or while going to school.

Cons

Very few good managers, they only care about and look after themselves. Unappreciated in everything you do, no matter how hard you work. Pay is terrible and the turn over rate is though the roof. Raises are very minimal ($0.40/hr once a year) and are not necessarily granted on performance.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your associates more. They would stick around longer and and work harder if you did.