Walmart - Department Manager | Glassdoor

"Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA
Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is resonable depending on departments. I was able to move from stocker to department manager in 3 years. In one store (in Western USA), the managers cared about you and wanted you to succeed and taught you everything you needed to know. I had some personal issues arise and that store was more than willing to help me out in any way possible.

Cons

I worked 3 different stores in 6 years and in two different states, one in the west and the other 2 in the east, and all three were run differently depending on the store manager. The two managers on the east coast ran their stores differently from each other but neither was a good experience. Neither was involved with their associates or seem to acknowledge them unless something was wrong. One would sit in his office and the co-managers would all "run" the store and seeing as how they rotated, everything changed depending on who was working. The other store manager would just send his issues through the grapevine. Most of the work is 16hrs worth in a day that they want done in 8hrs because you're not allowed overtime and forget about having associates there to help you because "the schedule is what it is."

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates more and care about them instead of walking past them everyday without even looking in their direction or when you do look in their direction, SAY SOMETHING! Even if it's just a good morning. My manager in the West knew everyone's name and even sent out birthday and new years cards signed himself, and his store was twice as big as the two stores in the East! Let people know you care for them rather than they're just another person you have to pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Friendly coworkers, great bonuses"

Former Employee - Cashier in Statesville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Statesville, NC

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was friendly
    You get Sunday pay and Holiday pay and some pretty sweet quarterly bonuses

Cons

Long lines and hour. but you did get a break or lunch every two hrs depending on how long you worked

2. "Employees Don't Matter"

Former Employee - Instock Associate in Adrian, MI
    Former Employee - Instock Associate in Adrian, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were my extended family. I truly loved most everyone that I came in contact with and got to know over the 7 years that I had worked there, including some assistant and co managers of the store.
    For the most part management was very good at approving days off that you need or vacation time.
    The hours were unpredictable when I worked in other departments besides Instock, so it was hard to plan in advance without taking a vacation or personal time.

Cons

The store I worked for was so unpredictable. We went through several store managers. Nobody knew what they were doing. One manager would tell you to do one thing while another would tell you to do something completely opposite. This went on for several, several years.
    Management definitely had their favorites and they would make sure those who weren't a favorite knew it.
    It was extremely difficult to move up within the company, even though I expressed and had shown eagerness to do so.
    No recognition for working overtime doing a completely different job code. They also didn't recognize employees who went above and beyond their work expectations on a daily basis.
    Two of the store managers that I had the pleasure of working under were extremely sexist towards females. One of them was a female herself.

Advice to Management

Please, treat your employees like they matter. You wouldn't be getting paid without them.