Walmart - It's big time retail | Glassdoor

"It's big time retail"

Former Employee - Cashier in Sandy, UT
Former Employee - Cashier in Sandy, UT

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It gives you a taste of what retail is like and gives you experience. The pay was decent, but for as much work as you have to do, it probably should have been more, it was decent though. My co-workers were extremely nice and helpful though.

Cons

It didn't pay as much as it should have for as much work as there was to be done and I was part time working barely under 40 hours a week. I usually worked anywhere from 33 to 38 hours a week while 40 is full time. So I was barely under full time just without the benefits.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, please. Bottom level employees' attitudes would be much better with better wages, and generally we are the first and last faces customers see at the store. We are the face of the store.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Would not be there if I didn't have to be."

Current Employee - Auto Tech in Vienna, WV
    Current Employee - Auto Tech in Vienna, WV

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only the people I work with.

Cons

This company is very much so on the decline. I myself am part time and have worked here for over 2 years. Worked with people who have been employed here for almost 5 years and were unable to get full time hours which caused the to leave.However, I have heard that this mostly inside my store. Grass roots survey came back as one of the worst reviews in the country. No open door policy with most of management team, with the exception of a few, most are excessively rude and make u feel belittled and unimportant when asking for assistance. This store should truthfully be shut down and overhauled because it is falling apart. I hear nothing but good things about the South side Parkersburg store as well as the Marietta store.

Advice to Management

Be more accessible, this is your job to oversee and to help, you are not doing us a favor.

2. "A great Entry level job, and a Potential career to follow"

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Walmart Wireless in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Walmart Wireless in State College, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As an entry level Job for someone inexperienced off the street, Walmart has a lot to offer on the store level. There are numerous positions that will fit most personality types. Do you like talking with people, and helping them out? A Floor position is a fantastic place and there are multiple departments that fit most personal interests. For those that rather not deal with the public, there are also backroom positions to keep you out of the customer's cross-hairs!

Cons

One of the challenges is if you get stuck working in a position you simply do not like work can feel more like torture than work.

Another down side is if you do get caught in the cross-hairs of an angry customer, or an overly talkative one. it can be a challenge to handle such a customer. It is important to relax, not take it personally, and if it becomes too much, get a member of management... unless you are that member of management, then all I can say is GOOD LUCK!

Advice to Management

Scheduling. Be very attentive to your departmental staffing. You are given a certain amount of hours in which to schedule your associates and it is very important to use them effectively. If you over schedule a Day that is light, it leaves you short on the days that you are heavy.

Visit the floor often, at least a few times a shift. This will make the Associates aware of your presence, which will help earn their respect, allow you to see the Traffic flow of customers, help familiarize yourself with the department as well as what is and is not being snatched up by your customers, and give you a better Idea of who needs to be scheduled when and where.

This will help increase profit without spending extra money on hours you might not even need to request more of.