Walmart - Wal-Mart is immense and diverse, and everyone has a place within its structure; know your management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Wal-Mart is immense and diverse, and everyone has a place within its structure; know your management."

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Bentonville, AR

Pros

Wal-Mart provides an excellent array and opportunity for almost everyone; especially those just beginning from college, and definitely any High School graduates who chose to stop their institutional education at that level. Hourly employees receive cash bonuses based on merit up to 3.2% of the amount earned in a year; while Salaried positions receive annually 20% bonuses and can be higher as they advance. Many of the associates work in close quarters, which can be a benefit in the form of learning relationships for team members, opportunity to grow through mentor/mentee relationships, and open-door policies relating to fair & equal treatment.

Cons

As with many large-scale corporate environments, some individuals within management can be incompetent, biased, simply not the type of person that you work well with. My advice is to interview your senior management as much as they interview you. Be aware of those around you and possible negative interactions.

Advice to Management

Be more active with the direct reports and their "career pathing" and opportunities within the company. Help associates achieve their goals and those of the departments. Prepare associates for success in other areas within the company. Speak highly of capable individuals and "promote" them to everyone in the company. Be proactive to stop "bad habits" early. Always be honest with your associates and coach them to grow with Wal-Mart. Recognize individuals who excel and strive for excellence.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Pro vs. Cons"

Current Employee - CSM in Griffin, GA
    Current Employee - CSM in Griffin, GA

Pros

Wal-Mart is huge. Because of that there is a large pool of co-workers to befriend.

Cons

This place isn't bad once you've worked there for 15+ years. Of course before that you can go ahead an expect a management style that will be more than willing to explain that they don't need you. Don't expect job security and definitely don't expect the management to ever lay off. It would also be wise to not expect any kind of competitive benefits although they're more than happy to help you get government assistance to make up for their lack of competitive pay and health insurance. Also, it would be best to not consider wal-mart if you're still in school or predict needing time off. As I was personally told they can easily find an employ to replace me who doesn't have a school schedule for them to work around. If you need a quick job for a couple of months then you may want to consider it but otherwise you could probably do better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Understand that employees are people, people with lives, and families, and wants and desires. By letting your employees know that you don't need them you take away most of their motivation for doing anything other than the bare minimum. You're company isn't faring well in the public's eye right now and the hoards of employees complaining to their friends and families are not going to help that. Maybe if you would offer competitive pay and benefits your employees would be more apt to do more than the minimum and they wouldn't mind the constant barrage from the upper management.

"You get what you pay for"

Former Employee - Associate in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Riverside, CA

Pros

I left my orientation feeling as if I was starting a great career with alot of potential for growth as well as stability. Many of the Associates that I started out working with were 'OLD TIMERS" as we newbies called them. The base salary starting out was higher than most retail stores. After the first 3 months I received a 60 cent per hour increase in salary and again at 6 months and a 65 cent increase upon completing my first year. I also received increases in salary at the completion of each step of my training and was soon hired as a full time employee. I was able apply for and received retirement account and stock options. I was very happy initially as I was treated with kindness and respect by my department manager and the store manager that hired me. The store manager fostered a "family" atmosphere and encouraged his employees to be the best that they could possibly be. I was told that the room for growth was as "roomy" as I wanted it to be and I started out with a fair share of desirable hours with staff members who were very knowladgeable and helpful with my training as I had not worked in the retail sector before. Initially I was very happy and within 2 years my salary had increased by almost 4 dollars per hour.

Cons

The company has, since my initial hiring and subsequent quitting, gone through a great deal of change. No longer are full time Associates desirable to the company. They seem to have gone on a behind the scenes campaign to rid themselves of all full time and bennifited employees to a staff of inept and uncaring part timers whos only agenda seems to be to just make a buck and move on. The atmosphere is one of fear by the old timers and that it matters not that they signed on for a life time of faithfull service to Sam's Wal-mart as the new Walmart no longer finds them desirable and will use any excuse to be rid of them and end any bennefits they had thus far earned after 5 or sometime 30 years of employement. Now the hardest most valuable workers have to work nights, weekends and holiday's and watch newbies get the desired hours and days off. I have also witnessed and been the object of humiliation when a customer has demanded free merchandise or returned customer damaged goods and been givin a $50 dollar gift card after complaing about a service that they recieved and only complained because the word has gotten out that if you complain loud enough you will receive free things or if you take back customer damaged merchandise because it is now a widely reported word of mouth fact that Wal-mart will even take back Target merchandise to please it's customers who are taking advantage of it fully. Yet at the end of the year we employees lose a 1800 dollar bonus because of merchandise "shrinkage". And each year you are kept going with the idea that we will receive that bonus if we, the employee work our very hardest only to be told again we lost it again! Alot of things are promised that aren't delivered.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your associates. Your employees reflect everything and every attitude of the company and it's management. A dissatisfied associate is going to project that on to the customer and effect the customer's whole shopping experience. Quit devaluing your employees by giving away free gift cards to bad customers who have learned "If you yell loudly enough management will give you anything to shut you up and get you out of the store." A store full of happy associates will buy into the company and protect it even from internal employee theft if they have a stake in the out come. Quit using customer and associate shrink or accidents to keep bonus' at bay.
    A happy employee gets a happy customer and so on...