Walmart - Advancement Available for those who make the most of it | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Advancement Available for those who make the most of it"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Williamston, NC
Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Williamston, NC

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Guaranteed annual raise (albeit small) id job performance is good. Its fairly easy to move to different positions. And advancement is very possible for those who are determined and willing to put in work. Somewhat flexible scheduling and the work environment for the most is fun and interesting. Quarterly bonuses if your store performs well, which is largely in part of the associates.

Cons

The pay could better, and the expectations at times are unrealistic. Also, there is often lots of "red tape" and technicalities (often not working in your favor) when attempting to move up and settle disputes. You often have to deal with a lot of unfair pressure from management because of the pressure put on them from their managers.

Advice to Management

I think job expectations and responsibilities could be more clearly defined, opportunities could be made more readily public to associates, and simply put, the benefits are abysmal.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Definitely worse jobs, but so many better ones."

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Everett, WA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the only good thing about working here (other than having a paycheck and cooworker relationships) is that if you can do well at this job you can do well at any job.
    If you are full-time and can make it to a year you get benefits. That includes vacation and sick leave. You get it if you're part-time too, but you have to wait 2 years.

Cons

No benefits for a year if full-time and 2 years if part-time.
    I work as an overnight stocker and they really put the pressure on to complete the freight in the amount of time that the "system" says it should take. That is sometimes possible and sometimes not. Sometimes the times are doable and other times not. Some departments are easy to stock and other require 4 times more work to make the stock time. If you don't make the stock time you can get written up. Three write ups and they can fire you. They do NOT pay enough for this job. There are all kinds of factors that make the job harder and the pressure always ends up on the overnighters. Haven't seen a bonus in more than a year.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ground level employees. I can't stress this enough. When we try to tell you something isn't working it's because know. We've been doing everything we can to make it work and if we're not getting there it's because it will never work. Get a better way of calculating expected stock times. They are often wrong. When they are wrong (and we know they are because we know what can be done in what amount of time) the expected amount of freight does not get worked and valuable, hardworking, experienced employees get in trouble. This severely decreases morale and you end up losing those good employees when they leave.
    When things don't go how you find, really find out why and try to find a better way. If you just put pressure on the managers below you the pressure trickles down to us and the stress level skyrockets while moral plummets. Then all the good workers leave while we get confused new people in and the problem gets worse. We don't get paid nearly enough for what we do.

2. "Walmart is not for everyone"

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet different people.
    You might start off making above minimum wage.
    Opportunity to advance in the company.

Cons

Managers are really rude and show no care and concern for employees.
    BLACK FRIDAY!
    Lots of customers have really nasty attitudes. (You need a high tolerance level)
    They make you do things out of your job description.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and stick to the job description you hired people for.