Walmart - Work hard and move up quickly. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Work hard and move up quickly."

Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the Associates I worked with, made a lot of life-long friends. The Health/Vision/Dental Benefits for me, were affordable. Many prescriptions $4-8. They started Insuring your unmarried Spouse or Domestic Partner with reasonable rates. The employee discount 10% off, 20% off Eyeglasses/Contacts was awesome. If worked Thanksgiving/Black Friday got 25% off 1 whole purchase. Raises every year $.40-$.60. Management was availible to talk to. Fast paced store. You control your future. There is a MyShare Bonus for meeting quarterly goals but I only saw it 2 times in 3.5 yrs. I was promoted 5 times with raises.

Cons

You have to be very self-motivated. You are not provided much training for any job given at any level, you have to jump in and get hands on. Management had an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fixed them. In order to get promoted you needed to work hard and be noticed for the hard work, they needed to know your name good or bad (I was known for being too demanding and loud, It got me propmoted quickly but I didn't have many friends, I never kissed any tail and just spoke up/worked hard) I worked both Part Time and Full Time as an Associate and Dept Manager there was a great work-life balance. However as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor there was little to no balance. In the ZMS role you worked either 8-5 or 11-8 which seemed pretty balanced but sicne you are the middleman between a dept manager and an assistant you had to change your hours to meet the needs of the business which could mean overnights or 12 hr shifts or split shifts to ensure coverage of your Zones. Dept Managers have the best hours 7-4 no weekends...but it depends which store you work at as I've heard that varies. I felt I was underpaid in my position for the work I had to do and how much of my life I commited to Walmart. But I'm sure a lot of people feel they were under paid. There's no raise but once a year unless you move up in position, I was promoted 5 times and I went from $7.45 to $12.60 in 3.5 yrs.

Advice to Management

Teach and Train. The people that you think are "annoying" by asking so many questions, wouls be less annoying if you just taught them. As a ZMS I wasn't given control over critical items that would have relieved pressure from Management such as ability to Schedual, Keys (trash/organics), and Coach for Improvement. I had the hardest ZMS position Primary Fresh (Deli, Dairy, Frozen, Bakery, Meats, Produce) Secondary Consumables (Dry Grocery, Pharmacy, Pets, Paper, Chemicals, Health and Beauty) but it seemed I had no support system. I had back-to-back weak Assistant Managers that acted like their head was in the clouds. I only saw my Assistant when they did Temps once a day, and at the 2pm meeting. I finally got one Assistant that would hold Associates accountable but then they were told they were "stepping on toes" if they did too much for someone else's Team. I was on my own a lot to problem solve which I didn't have an issue with, but I had no power to change or document anything. So reviews and raises were given to my associates without any input from myself or my Dept Managers, Assistants were telling the associates they were "Exceptional" without having working with them and that created a hostile environment when they openly discussed their review/raises with others. Lastly, Management GET OUT OF THE OFFICE, WALK THE FLOOR! Don't depend on us bringing you problems and solutions all of the time.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Fun and joyful environment!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best things in working at Walmart is the benefits, discounts, pay depending on your position and the bonuses. Managers have great rotating schedule with off days.

Cons

The worst thing about Walmart is that expectations from upper management. Some stores are unorganized. Customers get their way ( customer is always right).

Advice to Management

Learn to understand your employees. Be realistic and help when help is need.

2. "Its better than not working."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, MN

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to be out of the house and meet people. Associate discount card. Chances for advancement and relocation if you stay a while. Looks better on a job application if you are working than if you are not. Retail experience for your resume.

Cons

You start at rock bottom pay Part time. It takes forever to get on full time and get most benefits. no regular hours or days. No regular duties, you an get moved to any position at any time (sales floor to cashier to groceries stocking, Etc...)

Advice to Management

Get organized and give your employees some structure in the day and week. employees are happier if they know what they will be doing from day to day. work out the schedule so that employees get the same days on and off every week with their days off together instead of just willy-nilly so then they can more easily plan family time.