Walmart - Great hours for school, Not so great pay or management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Great hours for school, Not so great pay or management"

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Burley, ID
Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Burley, ID

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked that they would work with your schooling or work life. They worked with my schooling without any problems and they even let me go to as low as only working the weekends so I could dedicate more time to my schooling. I know that they also will work with other work schedules, so I know that will be a big plus for some people. I also liked that you got the chance to work in a lot of different areas and there is a lot of chances for advancement within the company. There is also the ability to get chunks of money throughout the year depending on how well the company is doing. They schedule these bonuses well so that they are right before major holidays, like Christmas. However, bonuses differ on how many hours you work.

Cons

Management does not take any time to get to know you. I worked there for 5 years with several of the managers and they did not even know my name. They do not like giving out higher raises even if your department manager recommends it. Advancements and raises were based on how chummy you were with the management and less about your work ethic. When I first was hired, I really enjoyed management, but after a new store opened and a lot of management left our store, it was the worst part of the job. The #1 reason why I will never go back and work at the store in my town is because the management was absolutely horrible. At times, I didn't even feel like they looked at me as a human being. That being said, it is not the same with every store. I worked for 6 months in Chubbuck, ID and the management was a million times better.

Advice to Management

I think that management needs to start valuing actual work and basing pay raises and advancements based on that. Better training would also help cut the turnover rate, as well as better pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"The first seven years were people focused & fulfilling, the last ones were were about cutting payroll & fighting unions."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Walmart provides an opportunity for primary and secondary educated individuals to grow a career from a simple job. There are multiple avenues for advancement that equate to Asst. Mgr's making $45k and Shift Mgr's (Co-Mgr) at $62k. The benefits are at or above other retailers and extend to part-time associates (employees).

Cons

Management is guilty till proven innocent in matters concerning associate or customer complaints. The judge and jury is based on a bumbling Q&A session (Redbook) by an overworked Shift Mgr and influenced by non-objective Market HR Mgr's. Continuous hour cuts, hiring freezes and Holiday hiring as seasonal, not part-time. This adds additional wait time for a "transitioned" associate to qualify for benefits, all the while saving Corporate co-pay.

Advice to Management

Having worked in Texas, Oklahoma and South Florida, there seems to be a disconnect between Corporate philosophies and Floridian execution [Take a look at salaried manager turnover compared to Corporate percentages]. There is a blaring diversity agenda. The Regional team is lead by a female, that over her reign has focused promotions to Store Mgr and Market Mgr's on women [Take a look at the statistics]. The Regional Asset Protection Manager & Merchandiser are female, HR is African American with a token Caucasian over compliance [Caucasian, male promotions are the real minority].

2. "Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Plano, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Walmart brought me from a cashier to a pharmacy tech in training to a certified pharmacy technician in about a year. the scheduling in the pharmacy was excellent and there were never problems with days off.

Cons

Our store had technicians that had been there for 20+ years that took most of the salary cap based off of sales. the technicians weren't required to be "good" at their job, they were just rewarded for their time with the company regardless of skill level. Customers were consistently rude to employees and treated us like the bottom of the job market. Often times at the pharmacy one you would be required to close at 9pm and open again at 9am, there was no scheduled day or night shift, just a constant switch between the 2, often times resulting in 7-8 days straight without overtime. And try to pick a pharmacy without a drive through to work in, the drive through is a distraction, customers are in a hurry and don't understand it is a convenience not an express lane

Advice to Management

Please increase the starting salary for technicians, pay for certification for tech's in training, and certified techs including finger printing, registration with the state board and the exam for certification. Please have some kind