Walmart - Having a positive work experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Having a positive work experience"

Current Employee - Optician
Current Employee - Optician

Pros

The hours are the best in the store. The Vision Center is closed on major holidays as a typical doctor's office would be. You are generally not called into the main of the store to help others accomplish tasks because we are dealing with patients who take precedence. No cashiering or cart pushing for example. If you decide to take the test to become a licensed optician and pass, Walmart with reimburse you the amount.

Cons

Customers of Walmart have a tendency to think we do not employ "real" doctors. All of our optometrists go through medical school and have earned the right to place Dr. in front of their names. Others think that because we are able to offer our glasses, contacts, services ect. at such an affordable price that the quality must also be lesser. Not the case.

Advice to Management

My only have one complaint about the ability to achieve advancement within the company. I was told by a manager that is easier to train a manager from another department in optical, than it is for an optician to be trained as a manager. It can get frustrating to have to train your boss in basics for a position that you can do with your eyes closed.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Pay is great in the distribution centers!"

Current Employee - Distribution Center Unloader
    Current Employee - Distribution Center Unloader

Pros

The pay is surprisingly good. You make more per hour as a regular associate than a Zms, or department manager storeside.

Lots of physical labor for those who like hard work.

Cons

Hard work, with no air-conditioning in the summer!

Promotions seem to be few and far between due to the economy.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Listen to suggestions of long time employees on ways to improve business. Act like you care about the position that you are in.

2. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Health benefits are amazingly affordable, Friendly envirmonment, Advancement opportunities, Great co-workers, mostly competant managers (sometimes you get a dud!) I would definately work for this Company again.

Cons

Every company has disgruntled employees - don't just assume it's all bad because one person is complaining, Retail = working weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Make management interviews more involved to help eliminate those not ready for the position/responsibilites.