Walmart - Having a positive work experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Having a positive work experience"

Current Employee - Optician
Current Employee - Optician

Pros

The hours are the best in the store. The Vision Center is closed on major holidays as a typical doctor's office would be. You are generally not called into the main of the store to help others accomplish tasks because we are dealing with patients who take precedence. No cashiering or cart pushing for example. If you decide to take the test to become a licensed optician and pass, Walmart with reimburse you the amount.

Cons

Customers of Walmart have a tendency to think we do not employ "real" doctors. All of our optometrists go through medical school and have earned the right to place Dr. in front of their names. Others think that because we are able to offer our glasses, contacts, services ect. at such an affordable price that the quality must also be lesser. Not the case.

Advice to Management

My only have one complaint about the ability to achieve advancement within the company. I was told by a manager that is easier to train a manager from another department in optical, than it is for an optician to be trained as a manager. It can get frustrating to have to train your boss in basics for a position that you can do with your eyes closed.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "okay starter job"

Current Employee - Cashier Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate

Pros

-meet a lot of new people
    -10% dicount (on non grocery items)

Cons

in order to advance you have to be friends with the CSMs. Your breaks are forgotten ofter. They pressure you to sell the walmart credit card, which is a horrible interest rate and is not good in general

Advice to Management

stop picking favorites or look for the people who actually do their job

2. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Health benefits are amazingly affordable, Friendly envirmonment, Advancement opportunities, Great co-workers, mostly competant managers (sometimes you get a dud!) I would definately work for this Company again.

Cons

Every company has disgruntled employees - don't just assume it's all bad because one person is complaining, Retail = working weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Make management interviews more involved to help eliminate those not ready for the position/responsibilites.