Walmart - Wal-Mart is great for those able to adapt to constant change; if not, find a different industry to work in! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Wal-Mart is great for those able to adapt to constant change; if not, find a different industry to work in!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Exton, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Exton, PA

Pros

Job security and career advancement are two of the top reasons although their are many others that aren't truly realized until you are a part of the Wal-Mart family. It's important to realize that Wal-Mart is really no different than any other retailer when it comes to stress and wages. Each Wal-Mart store is its own family and, as in life, some families are dysfunctional while others grow together; this is why it's also important not to point a finger at Wal-Mart as a company when a specific store is having problems. Overall, Wal-Mart is a great company to work for!

By the way, it's also worth noting that Wal-Mart associates receive quarterly cash bonuses of up to $450.

Cons

Stress and poor communication that leads to additional stress! It's honestly difficult to think of a true downside that is exclusive to being with Wal-Mart. I guess the only thing is the inability for many of the long term associates to adapt to changes currently underway at Wal-Mart. Again, though, this is not a problem exclusive to Wal-Mart, all retail chains must change to adapt to changing times in the industry. It's the companies like Circuit City that fail to implement change year after year that are destined to fail. I feel more secure working for a company that is always changing than for one that continues to do the same thing year after year!

Advice to Management

I would say that the resistance to change throughout the company can not continue to be ignored. We need to change to stay competitive, but to do so successfully we need to understand how the changes will affect our long term associates and discover new ways to get these associates bought in to the changes. Continuing to push forward at the current rate is causing confusion and frustration for management and hourly associates. Consideration has to be given to those stores within each market that are currently experiencing problems with staffing or other operational breakdowns and action plans need to be in place to ensure those stores and roll out the new changes. If that means that one or two stores in a market will be behind with a specific roll out than so be it, but pushing ahead when the foundation of a store is not sound is proving to be disastrous!

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Get out while you can"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Rolla, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Rolla, MO

Pros

Family atmosphere, large amount of peers, regular meeting and training sessions. Regular employee gatherings and meals. Strong community programs that help raise money for good charities.

Cons

The pay is not very good, the benefits are not very comprehensive. Management is too focussed on meeting numbers that they fail to see the bigger picture. Employees are mere pawns to be used for the overall

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about making every last penny and ask yourself if Sam would be happy with where this company is going right now

2. ""Make no money, Live worse""

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, VA

Pros

The people I work with. If it wasn't for them I'm not sure what I'd do. Also you do get a bonus which is based on your store's sales, which in our case, sales are always down, no matter how busy the store is.

Cons

You have to do more than your job title even if that means working in an area where other people are a higher pay level. The work environment is poor. Your work is timed so you'll be rushed your whole shift so you can leave earlier than scheduled so they can cut back on payroll. Each Associate is treated differently, not equally. And when pay day comes, you'll be very dissapointed, all the hard work and everybody else's job you've done you earn almost nothing! The equipment you use for your job is terrible most of which doesn't work or missing parts.

Advice to Management

Try to think of the Associates more not just the Customers, I know the customers is what makes the store but think of us just once. Try to make things easier and not harder. Rethink the pay scale. Be glad you have somebody willing to work. Make the job environment fun and easy going maybe by offering a personal performance bonus or something Associates can look forward to coming to work everyday and giving their best effort.