Walmart eCommerce - Infighting at its worst; Fear-based decision making; Insecure Leaders | Glassdoor

"Infighting at its worst; Fear-based decision making; Insecure Leaders"

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Walmart eCommerce has some smart and very talented individuals. However, the mantra in Bentonville is 'go along to get along" - antithetical to innovation and what tends to attract (and keep) tech talent.

Cons

Walmart doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. On paper, they are doing the right things - buying companies, making partnerships, hiring smart people. However, it all falls down in the execution as the leaders in Bentonville don't REALLY want or accept the new, diverse, disruptive thinking that all brings. Instead, they just want the revenue and the smart people they've hired or acquired to keep their mouths shut and to smile and nod and to be grateful they part of Walmart. This is made very clear when we are told to "behave ourselves" or when the new talent is excluded entirely from business-critical meetings.

Advice to Management

Don't hire smart, successful external hires if you plan to just bury them in the org below a bunch people who have been at Walmart their entire career who fear versus embrace change and aren't open to learning or hearing diverse perspectives. That company in the North West is going to eat our lunch while we're worrying about why someone more junior said the smartest thing on the conference call. Who cares? If you're too insecure to lead, you're probably in the wrong position.

Walmart eCommerce2018-05-07
  1. "Great place"

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

Great work environment , good pay

Cons

Not much bad I could say

Walmart eCommerce2019-12-16
  2. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Lot of exposure * Transparent on what you are working on

Cons

* Don't want to mention them

Walmart eCommerce2020-01-27

Discover more reviews about Walmart eCommerce.