Walmart eCommerce - Disorganized chaos. | Glassdoor

"Disorganized chaos."

Former Contractor - Client Services Analyst in San Bruno, CA
Former Contractor - Client Services Analyst in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was comprised of great people to work with, even though at times I questioned their skills and abilities. The location was great, inside and out. Weekly free lunches and occasional snacks.

Cons

Supervisors show favoritism when they claim they don't. Training was basically non-existent; you're expected to know the answers to questions simply because you've been there a while, not because you would have been trained enough to have actual knowledge of it. Policies coming from home office are not communicated to us until it's too late and a handful of systems are unable to perform correctly. When a colleague's contract was terminated, they gave him 2 and a half days early notice which was unusual in my opinion. When my contract ended a few weeks afterwards, I was informed on a weekend morning with no early notice and no chance to return company possessions or collect my own.

Advice to Management

Train your people properly, fight for proper budget to increase your head count to maintain the demand, don't show extreme favoritism to some while kicking the others to the curb.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart eCommerce

"Walmart Ecommerce - A Sleeping Giant"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great challenges. Walmart.com has lots to catch up on and Wal-mart is putting a lot of effort into making that happen
    - Emphasis on technological innovation - Walmart Labs especially
    - Autonomous . Contrary to the popular perception, Bentonville has minimal involvement in technology decisions.
    - Smart folks, quick turnaround time. Tech force is a combination of start ups acquired and talent from other top firms. I joined Labs from a competitor and was pleasantly surprised to see a better talent pool.
    - Great culture. good emphasis on diversity, employee well being
    - Small company with the benefits of a big company
    - Associate discounts on everything. Unlimited 10% off in stores and on walmart.com. Company shuttles.
    - Everyone gets a company iPhone
    - San Bruno office is global HQs - UK, Brazil , CN technology groups sit here

Cons

- In very nascent stages of e-commerce which is actually an opportunity but can be boring for someone looking to deal with ambuiguity

Advice to Management

Buck the trend now and stop WalmartLabs from turning into a big bloated company - keep the teams lean and agile. Use technology to scale.

2. "A great place to work on open source projects"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on open source projects and having a lot of resources.

Cons

Depending on what team you're on, management can be very annoying.

Advice to Management

Engineering managers should definitely listen to their engineers and make sure the environment is such so that they can prosper.