Warner Bros. Home Entertainment - Leader in the industry but may or may not be the best place for you. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

"Leader in the industry but may or may not be the best place for you."

Former Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA

Pros

For starters they invented the home video business and are one of the most highly regarded home entertainment companies in the world. If you are looking for experience at a world class company you can't go wrong working here. These guys created the playbook! You will be exposed to people that are the best in the business (packaged goods at least). Warner has scale and the track record to pitch and acquire almost any type of property and put it through the well oiled marketing and distribution machine. And of course, there's all those free DVDs :)

Cons

My experience at Warner Bros. and WBHE was that career development takes a back seat. The management team is not empowered in this area. Performance reviews don't seem to matter because there is not a proper rewards structure in place. (Unless of course you are VP or above). I would like to see the company be more aggressive in their transition to digital. Sorry, but top management does not have the guts to make tough decisions. Look how long it took them to pull out of HD-DVD! But what happened when they finally did? All the other studios immediately followed their lead and the format was pronounced dead in days. As an industry leader, Warner Bros. needs to step up to the plate more often.

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively to employees and reward those who perform in a material fashion.

Other Employee Reviews for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

"Great Place with Great Benefits"

I worked at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment full-time

Pros

I was able to work on some great projects with great people. The benefits were excellent. As a full time employee they offered 40 hours of free day care assistance.

Cons

There was really no clear process for promotion. Often the case most individuals would receive a small merit increase (usually 2 -3%). But in terms of promotion, it could take 4-6 years to even receive a promotion.

Advice to Management

Offer more training programs and provide a more comprehensive tuition reimbursement program.

2. "Horrible Experience"

I worked at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot to say here. Throughout my 12 year career it was by far my worst experience with a company.

Cons

1. Recruiting misled me to believe I'd end up making $30k+ more annually than my previous job's salary based on the fact that the job was hourly (despite having a Manager title) and I'd be making a ton in OT. Though my gut was telling me otherwise I went ahead and accepted. A few months into the job my VP instituted an OT cap. It was a trust killer and I began looking for other roles immediately.

2. My direct supervisor had a miserable disposition. She refused to provide any sort of positive feedback. In my 16 months there I was told "good job" only once. When it happened I couldn't believe it. The flip side is she was more than willing to shell out daily briefings of even the slightest shortcomings in your work. She had strong technical skills but as a leader, teacher, and motivator she was abhorrent.

3. My VP wasn't much better. He had an equally miserable disposition and took it out on those around him through intimidation and bullying. He loved to pontificate his views of the business to his team but had no idea how to engage them in a shared mission to bring out their best. It's never a good sign when during your first 2 months, 3 separate people who have worked on his team approach you and tell you how bad they feel for you. This actually happened.

If you're considering a role here, especially in finance, be sure to ask lots of questions of both your recruiter and your potential bosses. Recruiting was at best sloppy and at worst duplicitous. Other departments there seemed happier but any company that allows the type of culture I was exposed to to develop needs to be scrutinized.

I've moved on to a much better role and am glad the experience is in the rearview mirror. I'd just hate for someone else's future to be what I experienced.

Advice to Management

When a department has rampant turnover, it probably wouldn't hurt to poke around and find out why.