Washington State Department Of Ecology - Environmental Planner | Glassdoor

"Environmental Planner"

I have been working at Washington State Department Of Ecology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, great work life balance.

Cons

Slow and bureaucratic in making change

Advice to Management

Take more risks politically.

Other Employee Reviews for Washington State Department Of Ecology

1. "Why I continue work at Ecology"

Current Employee - Section Manager in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Richland, WA

I have been working at Washington State Department Of Ecology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel like I can make a difference in the Hanford cleanup. My job is interesting. I like the people that I work with. I feel like the public depends on us to do a good job, and that the public recognizes us when we do a good job. I like the benefits.

Cons

They pay is about 30% lower than comparable Federal jobs, and 40% or more lower than comparable Federal contractor jobs.

"One of the best state agencies"

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Lacey, WA

I worked at Washington State Department Of Ecology (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with a very diverse group of people, not just culturally but professionally. There are Ph.D's, engineers, laborers, etc and most are very passionate about the environment and our natural resources.

The IT department is relatively well functioning and we we're able to deploy some relatively cutting edge stuff - especially for government where being comfortably behind in technology is the norm.

Cons

A specific con of the IT department is management that is pretty far removed from the technology. My supervisor was pretty informed, but had a hard time getting upper management on the same page as they just wanted to do "insert new tech buzz here," regardless of whether or not it made sense.

This agency has many programs with differing budgets who all basically have their budgets "taxed" to pay for administrative services like IT. The problem this creates is that big programs with big budgets tend to get to set the direction for IT - they pay for it afterall - which is a challenge IT is continually working through.

IT compensation for the state of WA (all agencies) is bad. Like bad bad. There are about 100 positions open at any given time across the state. This makes it hard to retain good talent.

Advice to Management

Don't get so excited by technology "buzzwords," and trust those of us who actually do the work. Doing things just so you can say you did them rarely works out in anyone's best interest.