Washoe County Schools - Substitute Teacher | Glassdoor
  1. "Substitute Teacher"

Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools for more than a year

Pros

You create your own schedule. You can cancel an assignment the day before. You get to pick what grade and class to teach from a list that's updated frequently. Some schools offer more support than others for helping substitutes get situated with their class.

Cons

There isn't a consistent way of helping substitutes. There is a shortage of substitutes and that puts more pressure on subs as well as the teachers the substitutes rely on for help next door. Sometimes not enough subs sign up for a school and that means the teachers have to take on another class or go sub for another teacher during the time they are trying to prepare classwork for students. It affects everyone.... There could be more communication about students and their records, whether or not they are violent and what triggers them.

Advice to Management

We need more support from the secretary department at every school. They should not assume the current teacher will provide important details about a student. I had a violent student in a classroom. He started a fist fight in the middle of class. No one warned me he had violent incidents in the past year. When the fight happened I was 6 months pregnant. I followed protocol but still was physically affected by this... incident. If I knew this child would be violent I would not have signed up for the particular assignment.

Washoe County Schools2017-12-03

Other Employee Reviews

1. "BAs in English and Music & Theatre; Masters in TESOL"

Current Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love working with young people motivating them for future happiness and success.

Cons

Teaching can be stressful with many hours of overtime required.

Advice to Management

WCSD should take advantage of well educated instructors who want to continue working after retiring from full time teaching with the district.

Washoe County Schools2019-06-17
  2. "Overworked and no sight of a salary increase"

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaboration with knowledgeable co workers

Cons

Too many demands Not enough time

Washoe County Schools2019-09-24

Discover more reviews about Washoe County Schools.