Washoe County Schools - Out of 3 different school districts in 2 different states, this was my WORST EXPERIENCE EVER | Glassdoor

"Out of 3 different school districts in 2 different states, this was my WORST EXPERIENCE EVER"

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) You can get a job easily 2) The pupils really need help 3)

Cons

1) The salaries are NOT comparable to surrounding areas and school districts. Admins make as much money as administrators in New York or Los Angeles and teachers make less than any of the surrounding districts. The district takes away teacher and support staff, increases class sizes to create new admin positions. It doesn't make sense! 2) If you aren't friends with the staff (teachers or admins. etc.), good luck.... They will make you and your life miserable. This had a lot to do with my moving on. I had a 2nd job and was "blacklisted" because I had to work rather than attend "staff social events" at local bars and restaurants after school hours. 3) If there are any friends or relatives of the admin or those close to then that wants a job, they will get it. The interviews are merely procedure. None of the other applicants are even considered. 4) There are NO rights for the teachers - even as members of the union. If anyone wants you gone, it's REALLY easy to do.

Advice to Management

Start talking to the parents more and the principals less. Do away with myPGS. Stop adding different classrooms requirements and let us actually TEACH THE KIDS!

Washoe County Schools2015-03-27

Other Employee Reviews

1. "BAs in English and Music & Theatre; Masters in TESOL"

Current Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love working with young people motivating them for future happiness and success.

Cons

Teaching can be stressful with many hours of overtime required.

Advice to Management

WCSD should take advantage of well educated instructors who want to continue working after retiring from full time teaching with the district.

Washoe County Schools2019-06-17
  2. "Overworked and no sight of a salary increase"

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaboration with knowledgeable co workers

Cons

Too many demands Not enough time

Washoe County Schools2019-09-24

Discover more reviews about Washoe County Schools.