Waste Management - Treat salespeople like trash | Glassdoor
  1. "Treat salespeople like trash"

Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

In the field sales role, you spend most of your time outside the office calling on new and/or existing customers which is great if you would prefer not to work in an office. The benefits are okay, but not as great as people make them sound.

Cons

The worst part of selling for Waste Management is that the company is continually looking for and implementing ways to reduce your commission. If a customer fails to pay their bill, they take it out of your commission AND they send the account to collections so they get their money twice! If a business closes and has to cancel their account, it comes out of your pay! They recently implemented a sales department to manage trash brokers which is an easy source of income. That drastically reduces our opportunity to make sales. You can't help but wonder what scheme they will come up with next to take away new business opportunities or penalize you for things that you can't control. We are constantly having to deal with operational issues that affect our pay. Hourly drivers with poor and unprofessional attitudes can result in customers canceling their service. Long lead times for dumpster repairs and deliveries frustrate customers and we can't do anything about it. Many of the route managers have a, " why should I care about that?" mentality.

Advice to Management

The company needs to have much more accountability on the operations teams with respect to the impact they have on customer relationships. The company needs to rewrite the commission plans and actually demonstrate that they value their salespeople instead of looking for ways to punish them and reduce their pay.

Waste Management2018-10-03
  1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Contract Administration in Waco, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good management, room for growth

Cons

Large company, persona recognition of employees could improve

Waste Management2020-01-10
  2. "Route Manager"

Current Employee - Route Manager

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are good, that's pretty much it.

Cons

Long hours, too many reports

Waste Management2020-01-17

Discover more reviews about Waste Management.