Waste Management - lean operation | Glassdoor

"lean operation"

Pros

good experience to use elsewhere, there's not much you won't see here

Cons

not enough resources to be effective

Advice to Management

support functions are important too

Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management

"WM is in a period of reorganization and change - be careful"

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid employment --- for drivers or operations personnel only.

Cons

Too much reorganization and downsizing in the past three years (700 people lost jobs in August/September, 2012 alone and there were other major reductions in the past few years - mostly office positions); hourly employees have had no raises since March, 2011; even tuition reimbursement was cut recently --- no employee appreciation for those who want to improve themselves to be of more value to the company. The Corporate office has no concept how things really work "in the field."

Advice to Management

You've lost sight of the value of individual employee contributions from long term employees. Those were the people cut to "save costs." There seems to be a mindset that positions can be moved and consolidated - and people are interchangeable - with no consequences. How will there be any continuity locally if those with institutional knowledge keep getting cut? How can customers nationwide relate to having to discuss billing issues with Arizona center only? It seems the plan is more and more to consolidate all services sooner or later to Houston or Arizona - while it is human nature to want to address problems locally with those who can solve questions or problems more quickly - not at far away consolidated centers. Only time will tell if cutting an entire layer of management in the field will work - individual market areas are already just out for themselves instead of working together as a group and as a company.

"Ex-employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best team members I have ever worked with. Everyone on the team worked hard, dedicated, smart and driven! Weak management....anyone that was competent left the company!

Cons

The company and it's management doesn't care how much salaried employees work, how many hours, what is going on in your personal life! They own you! I likened it to slave labor! I had enough of working nights, weekends, holidays. I traveled away from my family for months at a time. Just to have Steiner pull all of our annual bonuses AFTER we had already worked for it! That was the final straw! They even hired new employees under the guise of salary compensation packages including bonuses and then after bringing them onboard to tell them NO bonuses. How do they get away with it? I agree with other reviews that Steiner only cares about himself.....not the stupid board members that allow him to continue at the helm with his misguided pompous arrogance that he can continue to raise prices of the existing customers that are left. The company is losing business rather than growing. So unless the board members dump Steiner this company is destined for being bought out by competitors! I'm just glad I got out before that happened. I worked for this company for a very long time and was sad to leave but had to and would advise anyone considering working for this company....THINK AGAIN!