Waste Management - View of the company from the bottom. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management

"View of the company from the bottom."

Current Employee - Lead Technician in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Lead Technician in Toledo, OH

Pros

The best reasons to work for Waste Management is that being a mechanic you get to work on multiple types of trucks and bodies and understand the different types and how they work. You get a bigger variety of experience so that if for some reason you need to look for another job you have more experience. The insurance is pretty good and at my shop we have probably one of the best insurances you can get probably in the country for the middle class, but that will probably be changing here soon but they still offer one of the best insurances that I have heard of. All of the employess do work very well together and of the couple of the shops that I have worked in everyone gets along very well.

Cons

The downsides for me as a mechanic is that you are working with trucks that pick up garbage and there are always health risks that are involved but I have never heard of anything serious happening here. I do think that management people should be promoted within and brought in from other companies. The trash business is different from any other business and when you have someone come in that has never seen a garbage truck up close aside from passing one on the street that dont really understand what goes on. I have worked with one manager in the maintenance area that did not know what a simple component on the brake system was. So the biggest downside is everyone wants run a business that they dont know much about or how it affects people below them.

Advice to Management

I do not think I have really any advice to give the senior management, you dont really get to senior management without knowing what you are doing. I would like to see some of them step down to the lower levels as in driving and mechanic work and work with those people for a little bit so that they can see what actually goes on.

Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management

"Waste Management is a Waste"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY

Pros

Fellow employees are very friendly. Benefits are good. Hours are decent. The atmosphere was one of comraderie and helpfulness. If it were not for OTHER factors, I would still be there. The benefits were good compared to what I have now. The retirement benefits were REALLY good. Fully vested at the start. It was close to home, and the working hours were good. A rather laid-back office atmosphere promoted good working relationships with most of the employees. Past management went out of their way to show and demonstrate appreciation for a job well done, and a willingness to promote growth.

Cons

LARGE corporate structure. Offices all across the country, and trying to make them ALL function the same, regardless of individual areas situations and requirements. Uses a strict and stringent customer service monitoring tool in the hopes of acheiving a VERY high level of customer service satisfaction, but it is almost impossible for employees to acheive the level they strive for and get the job done. Employs J.D. Powers surveys as a guage of customer satisfaction, and does not take the complete picture into account.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on service to the customer at street level, stop relying on misleading surveys and hyper-quality issues and let your employees do their jobs without having to worry about if they apologized enough times to a customer, and whether or not they used the correct term for the length of time a customer would be on hold, etc, etc, etc....

2. "Solid waste can be a rewarding career."

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. As a service derived business it is rewarding to provide top quality service to customers. The business is demanding but the relationships that can be developed with our customers is very satisfying.

Cons

Very long hours and a lack of full appreciation for efforts. There seems to be a management attitude in some locations that have a lack of gratitude for the efforts and long work days that are put in by hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Develop training programs that the corporation will pay for instead of having local operating districts incur the expense. Sophisticated training programs will attract and retain top quality employees.