Wawa - Responsive, people-oriented company | Glassdoor

"Responsive, people-oriented company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Wawa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits include great insurance, 401k, ESOP, and tuition reimbursment. Our corporate support system is fantastic and available 24 hours a day. Upper management is very responsive and open-minded to new ideas. Wawa is not afraid to listen and respond to its customers and employees. Store level management is roughly 60% internal promotions, so the GM can relate, and there are lots of opportunities for a career.

Cons

Though it is a great company, at the end of the day, it is still a gas station/convenience store to a lot of people. There are days where we deal with being looked down upon, or talked down to. There is also trash to be pulled, bathrooms to be cleaned, and there is a lot of cleaning up after people who have little respect for us or our store.

Advice to Management

Keep your ears and your mind open to ideas from the customers and employees. They are the "front line" of our company, and without them, we wouldn't be where we are today!

Other Employee Reviews for Wawa

"Losing sight"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Wawa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Free Coffee, decent wages. ESOP, 401K, large customer base, starting wage above minimum, More often than not...decent store level management

Cons

Poor work/life balance, family atmosphere turned to money machine, Upper management out of touch, spreading the company thin, clogged internal pipeline, failure to follow their own core values, high burn out rate

Advice to Management

Focus on the established market where there is money to be made and not on huge risks (i.e. trying to break into already dominated markets), more labor to legacy stores so we can provide exceptional customer service and cleanliness standards, more internal promotions and less external hires, Follow the core values especially Do things right, Do the right thing, and most of all Value People!

2. "Customer Service Associate/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Wawa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of stores and more coming as WAWA wants to increase down into Florida. They expect a lot from the employees but there are not any real consequences other than a chat.

Cons

In Virginia it seems WAWA hires from outside for Upper Management, not real good at cultivating talent from the inside. Several people at my store want to move up and get promoted but the mentoring is not there. Only a few know how to mentor. The people we keep getting are from outside. I have been with WAWA almost 2 years as CSA and my current GM has been with WAWA for 8 months. Seems like a disconnect somewhere.

Advice to Management

Get out of the office and get into a store. The service industry is one of service, not just making decisions from your desk. Try more Undercover Boss assignments.