1. COVID-19

"Decent work, but seldom enough of it, and not a great pay rate."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Transcriber

I have been working at Way With Words

Pros

You can choose how much work you do and when you do it. Feedback is prompt and good and the team seems genuinely nice. Material to be transcribed is very varied and some of it is really interesting. Easy to use portal and guidelines are pretty straightforward.

Cons

While there is occasionally a plethora of work to choose from, more often than not the portal is empty. I've managed to nab one piece of work in the past month. Obviously the current situation is exceptional, but I've gone a long time without work pre-COVID19 crisis as well. And even when there is work, I find it's only worth accepting jobs at the highest pay rates, otherwise it's just not worth the time it takes - I've been doing it for a while now and only my accepting jobs with a tight deadline or special formatting requirements have I been able to get close to the minimum wage. The pay rate is decided by time constraints and formatting and has no relation to the quality of the audio or the amount of research required, and you're rewarded more for working quickly than you are for doing a good job (as in, you're paid per audio minute transcribed, not by the amount of time you put in, so to approach minimum wage you have to work at speed - taking a lot of time to research terms or to repeatedly listen to a difficult-to-hear word means a lower hourly rate).

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great HO team, good quality audio"

4.0
    Current Freelancer - Transcriber in Johannesburg

I have been working at Way With Words for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone you deal with at head office is professional and friendly. Most of the audio is fair, and nobody expects miracles with poor audio.

Cons

Some organisations in other parts of the world pay more.

2. "Great company"

5.0
    Former Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I worked at Way With Words for more than a year

Pros

Very organised and helpful. I would definitely recommend them.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Discover more reviews about Way With Words.