Wayfair - Fast-moving & Flexible with Room to Grow | Glassdoor
  1. "Fast-moving & Flexible with Room to Grow"

Paid Acquisition Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

There is a very strong culture of innovation and community at Wayfair. There are a lot of opportunities for growth and the company is very good at letting employees run with their ideas with strong internal support. Employees imediately out of school are given substantial responsibity with ample opportunities, move horizontly to persue what really interests them. The workplace culture is very good at providing... work life balance and there is a very strong team culture in the Ads/BI department. They are flexible with many different things which makes working there very rewarding and allows a strong work life balance.

Cons

The company moves very quickly and sometimes the transitions can be rough. They usually work once all the changes are adjusted for but there is a constant change. It is a product of the start-up culture but can be temporarily disorienting in its speed.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the way it is as the company keeps growing and communicate all changes well. There is a lot going on in the company and it is very exciting to see what is going on elsewhere in the company.

Wayfair2012-04-12
  1. "A space to grow, be mentored, and have fun"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a phenomenal place if you are relatively early in your career, or if you are looking to mentor others. I started a year after graduating undergrad, and have been here for 2 years, and honestly don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Not only is there incredible amounts of mentorship and coaching, but also general support and a true sense of being part of something special. I have learned A TON by being here,... and have had a lot of fun. I just got promoted in my time here -- management is very transparent about what it takes to be promoted.

Cons

Getting promoted is hard. It takes a long time, and a lot of work. Don't come here for the pay

Wayfair2019-11-14

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to... run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair2017-05-12

Discover more reviews about Wayfair.