Wayne State - Wayne State can be a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wayne State

"Wayne State can be a good place to work"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Advice to Management

Shelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.

Other Employee Reviews for Wayne State

1. "Fantastic place to work."

Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Perhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

2. "Great Opportunities for Students"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Each day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

Cons

Sometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Advice to Management

Always give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.