Wayne State - Excellent research institute. | Glassdoor

"Excellent research institute."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of facilities if you love to do research. Specially in fundamental science. Very talented faculty with many collaborations with national and international labs.

Cons

Moving to the next level will take many years since the opportunities are not that high. Sometimes working with front office administrative staff is a pain.

Advice to Management

Still employees need to fill dozens of paper forms for various administrative requirements. There is no integrated electronic system to handle documents. Need to implement a simple electronic document server to integrate all the administrative documents.

Other Employee Reviews for Wayne State

"Old School - Literally"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with 10% match and more vacation days than you know what to do with plus they have an excellent Wellness program with a fitness center on campus.

Cons

No upper management with any goals to work towards. My immediate supervisor doesn't like to work so is threatened by any fresh ideas or enthusiasm and will make me look bad to upper management (with no goals) if I dare work too hard. No innovation . . . not even a glimpse towards competing with on-line courses. Lots of people getting paid to do nothing and way too many unions protecting them. Silos everywhere so there's no interfacing between departments. In 3 years I've received $600 in raises (total). But the cost of parking has gone up twice. If you want to get paid to play Candy Crush, this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees all the way down the food chain because there may just be an incompetent manager in the way of a very valuable asset.

2. "Great learning experience !"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of advancement opportunities. Great staff, very helpful. many different fields to choose from

Cons

No benefits offered for this position.