Weather Channel - Unsastifying, not much room for growth. Company is taking too many directions | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel

"Unsastifying, not much room for growth. Company is taking too many directions"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
Current Contractor - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent. If you like quiet offices, this is the place.

Cons

Lots of turnovers. Company prefers to hire people out of state for upper management.

Advice to Management

Include the lower end of the spectrum on your decisions

Other Employee Reviews for Weather Channel

"The Weather inside is frightful"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are few Pros - and I mean that both as in Professionals and in positive attributes of the company. The salaries are OK for Atlanta but don't let that lure you in to this mess.

Cons

The lack of professionalism and experience amongst the middle and senior management ranks is truly astounding. This is due to the fact that David Kenny and most of his Sr Mgmt team have none to little media experience and background, and they continually hire their cronies who have similar backgrounds at outrageous salaries. They enjoy talking about past conquests and their connections - but in 1 yr the needle has not moved, I believe anywhere else, this would be considered a failure.

The inexperienced and unmonitored VPs are like naughty teenagers - continuously fighting over turf and outright warring against each other. Someone else reviewed it perfectly "Loads of VPs tripping all over each other... and actually tripping each other too". Senior Management is fostering and rewarding a cut throat culture where truth and integrity are punished - and anyone who has a different point of view or opinion will be made so miserable they will wish to be laid off - I have personally witnessed that with 3 colleagues.

I have also observed that there are no minorities in Senior Management and very few women, in fact in the last yr they have gotten rid of the only woman of color at the senior level and many others in middle management - it is becoming the "Whitewashed" weather Company - dangerous if you are a minority.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending an inordinate amount of money on tons of consultants, how about some true leadership David Kenny? Come down from your private jet, and really get to know what is going on in Atlanta & NY, how poorly your Senior management is performing and why you will never be able to move the company forward with the current players.

"Oh for the days when we cared about weather"

Current Employee - Mobile in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mobile in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supposedly they are putting in new break rooms with 'healthy' treats with the money they are saving from the 70+ of my colleagues they laid off, which is interesting as they are already refilling those same positions with similar people. Hmm. Sure hope we still get apples.

Cons

There isn't enough space or time. The new management does nothing to show it supports their employees. Whereas it used to be a nice work environment with clear purpose and goals, it is now a work environment built on fear, lies and repeated misinformation. Everyday we come to work wondering if today will be the day where WE get to be led out by security with a cardboard box like we are criminals who did something wrong instead of busting both our physical and metaphorical arses day in and day out. We have no REAL clue what the goals of the current 'leadership' are or direction of the company, other than to bring their buddies in from various hotel and website chains and create Vice President positions for them. The current regime is clearly there to flip the company for a profit within the next 3 years before they too hit the door after collecting their respective
    profits.
    I am NOT the minority in this opinion. Merely the anonymous voice of the majority.

Advice to Management

At least pretend like you care about your employees health and work atmosphere. You are fooling nobody with this illusion you are putting forth and it shows from employee morale to on-air ratings, which of course doesn't matter as much now that most of the focus and resources are geared toward web and mobile.