Weather Channel - Good Company, but obviously some reviewers think otherwise | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel

"Good Company, but obviously some reviewers think otherwise"

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting change from a simple media company to a high tech data company.

Cons

Morale is low. Communication from top down is lacking.

Advice to Management

Senior management... Stop bickering among yourselves. There are some extremely talented employees, including most of the newer ones, but there is a detrimental territorialism that makes it difficult to coordinate among groups. The CEO is leading the Company in the right direction, but there is a profound lack of communication resulting in many employees feeling isolated and unappreciated. His team is talented, but not equally so. The head of advertising is whip smart, but aloof. The head of TV is impaired in some way. The head of HR is, in a word, crazy. The open floor plan referenced in a number of postings is silliness adorned as cleverness and cutting edge. This is Atlanta, folks, not Silicon Valley, and people kind of like their personal space even if it's just the walls of a cubicle standing between them and their neighbor.

Other Employee Reviews for Weather Channel

"Not a great place to work"

Pros

Nationally recognized brand that from the outside people are impressed that you have on your resume. Friends I have made, proximity to restaurants, office space, and a tv in my office.

Cons

Where do I begin? I have never worked for a more disorganized company. From the top down this place is a mess. They are trying to be a media company on a private equity budget. The benefits are horrible, some of them get shut off and you don't know until you go to your doctor and the woman in benefits is no help. She is rude. You only get promoted if you know the right people. My pay is horrible, I don't get paid for the amount of work I do. Everything is about velocity around here, so everything is done at warp speed. They do Employee Surveys and never share the results with the employees. The turnover is ridiculously high.

Advice to Management

If you would slow down, your employees may not feel so stressed out and may be able to turn a quality product around. The deadline of 5 days ago on everything gets old. Listen to your employees when you survey them (if you even read the results). Start hiring people with Media Experience where it is relevant.

"C-level is the problem"

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nationally-recognized brand that will impress your friends. Challenging work. Great people on the individual teams. Location. In my case, my team was full of awesome people and was well-managed by possibly the best director I've ever worked for. In fact, most managers at Director level or lower are really great. I made a lot of life-long friends at the company. I was paid enough to support my family (though less than fair market value). I still think that, if you get on the right team, it's a great place to work, but you really need to go in with both eyes open.

Cons

C-level management needs to be replaced. They're moving too quickly, not considering the fallout of their actions. The current plan is damaging the existing products and brand in favor of the new CEO's "vision", which not enough people really understand. Focus has gone from "do good work and get recognized" to "do slick presentations, farm out the work to contractors, and worry about getting laid off". Switch to open-plan offices makes many people's jobs difficult. Everyone is moving all over the place all the time (no sense of being settled). I at least was underpaid (based on fair market value for my position). Never enough parking. Morale has gone WAY down, and the company isn't doing much to increase it. Most of the VPs aren't trusted, and more seem to be hired every day.

Advice to Management

This is specifically for the C-levels: no one trusts you, and no one likes or respects you. I'm sorry to have to say that, but in talking to the various low-level employees I worked with, that's the impression that I got. The new Lightning Round doesn't help. E-mails about your trip to Africa don't help. Newsletters with big "NEWS FROM THIS PERSON" don't help. Unfortunately, you've been with the company too long to make a change; people's opinions have been formed, and they're not going to be swayed. I left because of C-level management, not because of my boss, his boss, the work I was doing, or any dissatisfaction at that level. I just didn't trust C-level not to continue causing problems with a company that, when I first got there four years ago, really felt connected to.