Websense - The labs are awesome! | Glassdoor

"The labs are awesome!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even though Websense is a large corporation, the labs still feel like a startup. We always are working on new projects. These projects are not just what the top-brass want us to do, they are also ideas that we have. Many of these projects become customer facing.

I personally feel that I have been able to make a lasting positive (hopefully) impact on the company.

We get to work directly with the researchers on projects which is fun as well.

Cons

Websense is an enterprise company not a consumer company so sometimes it feels out of sync.

They have been around for a while, so some of the code base is old and annoying. (But we do get opportunities to fix it :D )

There is a lack of standards (coding, architecture, protocols, etc) which makes developing frustrating.

Advice to Management

We need a clearer vision.

Other Employee Reviews for Websense

1. "As good as most places..."

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

Very secure employment. Solid engineering.

Cons

Salaries are low. Workload and pressure are too high.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. You can't keep putting more work on fewer people. Reduce the amount of work going on in Beijing and hire Americans.

"Dysfunctional leadership and negative culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

You will have a wide range of responsibilities in your role and have the ability to learn whatever you want, if you have the drive and ambition.

You'll work with bright, intelligent people.

Good benefits. Great health/dental insurance, vacation package.

Cons

People are overworked. Teams are hiring in abroad offices but not locally. Everyone at the company is stretched thin and there aren't enough resources to build features the right way. Almost every project I've worked on has been forced to readjust schedule in a big way due to lack of planning and foresight.

Incredibly negative politics. Managers are more interested in carving out their own power bases than building good product. People are afraid to share their opinions to executive management. There is a chronic lack of appreciation for the incredible amount of work done by people. There is a distinct negative relationship between organizational groups and between different offices.

Compensation is not competitive over time. Small raises, no bonuses, rare promotions all designed to keep costs down.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in engineering. We are completely overworked, underpaid, are given little attention and have middle management who care more about protecting themselves than product. Pay more attention to project state and help lift some weight off our shoulders. Also, stop flaunting the benefits and investment done in Sales, you make everyone else in the company feel horrible from what we get compared to them.