Websense - As good as most places... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Websense

"As good as most places..."

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

Very secure employment. Solid engineering.

Cons

Salaries are low. Workload and pressure are too high.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. You can't keep putting more work on fewer people. Reduce the amount of work going on in Beijing and hire Americans.

Other Employee Reviews for Websense

"Dysfunctional leadership and negative culture"

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

You will have a wide range of responsibilities in your role and have the ability to learn whatever you want, if you have the drive and ambition.

You'll work with bright, intelligent people.

Good benefits. Great health/dental insurance, vacation package.

Cons

People are overworked. Teams are hiring in abroad offices but not locally. Everyone at the company is stretched thin and there aren't enough resources to build features the right way. Almost every project I've worked on has been forced to readjust schedule in a big way due to lack of planning and foresight.

Incredibly negative politics. Managers are more interested in carving out their own power bases than building good product. People are afraid to share their opinions to executive management. There is a chronic lack of appreciation for the incredible amount of work done by people. There is a distinct negative relationship between organizational groups and between different offices.

Compensation is not competitive over time. Small raises, no bonuses, rare promotions all designed to keep costs down.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in engineering. We are completely overworked, underpaid, are given little attention and have middle management who care more about protecting themselves than product. Pay more attention to project state and help lift some weight off our shoulders. Also, stop flaunting the benefits and investment done in Sales, you make everyone else in the company feel horrible from what we get compared to them.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, work/life balance and good benefits. I've had the opportunity to workwith some very talented people, and also I love the technology! My position may be unique in having visibility into a lot of different areas, and I like the direction that the company is headed.

Cons

Sure, Websense has its challenges like any company. I've worked at some rough companies, bit and small. I can say that no problem I've seen here is insurmountable and that the leadership I work with daily (several VP's and above) is working diligently to tackle the issues one by one. That means more to me than what the issues are individually.

Advice to Management

The only thing I could really think of is to foster more collaboration with internal teams. There are some outstanding ideas from people in a lot of different groups on how to improve products, process, etc. Let's start gathering and planting those seeds!