Wegmans Food Markets - Great Company, Terrible Work Environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

"Great Company, Terrible Work Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service - Sub Shop in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Customer Service - Sub Shop in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself is very enjoyable. The volume of customer interaction is great.

Cons

The work environment is horrible. Atleast in regards to the Columbia location - coworkers do not hesitate to spread word about any mistake or mishaps you make. A lot of "behind the scenes" drama, which drives many employees to either turn in their 2 weeks or simply quit on the spot. It is much easier to get the job than to lose it. Which is not a good thing. Employees that have cronic lateness, misconduct, or harass others never see any punishment or stern treatment. Which leaves the actual "good employees" to suffer. If enjoy drama and a terrible work place, apply if you want. If not, steer clear.

Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

1. "Extremely accommodating for schedule changes"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Wegmans for seven years from high school through university. Wegmans management was very supportive and accommodated my frequently changing schedule.

Wegmans offers a scholarship and is fairly easy to receive if you have 1-2 years experience before entering university.

Cons

It is very difficult to break into the corporate level

It is my opinion that Wegmans management keeps experience employees part-time in order to avoid paying benefits.

Some positions such as produce delivery load is vastly underpaid for the effort needed to complete the daily tasks, not to mention the physical strain and risk of injury.

Advice to Management

Scholarship program does nearly nothing to retain relevant employees in the company. I am pretty sure it is simply in place to make the company look good and receive their recognition as a great company to work for. Don't get me wrong not complaining about receiving a scholarship, but Wegmans could utilize this program better and retain talent if they made an effort to mentor and actively offer career advice to their scholarship employees.

2. "INCREDIBLE!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Wegnams as a Cashier since September. The staff is very nice, helpful, friendly and very accommodating. As a part time employee, I provided my availability and number of hours preferred to work each week to the Front End Supervisor. They have been very accommodating.

Cons

None. I have not found anything working about the company that is a negative.