Wegmans Food Markets - Excellent place to work during college. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

"Excellent place to work during college."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsville, NY
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provide tuition support (must qualify and work a certain amount of hours per year), flexible around school schedule and family events.

Cons

Make same pay as co-workers that put in a lot less work. Upper management often oblivious to the slackers or refuse to do anything about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

1. "Great work for college student"

Pros

Flexible hours, pays above minimum wage, additional dollar earned per hour on sundays and holidays

Cons

Can be hard to advance in the workplace, friendly corporate culture may be too much for some(I like it)

"My Wegmans Experience"

Former Employee - Full-Time in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Full-Time in Malvern, PA

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Wegmans is their ability to hire genuinely nice people. Even though I would get mad about different things about the job, my co-workers kept me wanting to come back. The majority of people working there are very sweet and you really grow to care about each other, after a while it does feel like a "family".

The training process was awesome and the knowledge you gain about your certain area is pretty impressive. I've gained so much knowledge that I know I'll use for a lifetime.

I would definitely recommend Wegmans for a person looking for a part-time job. I may even go back later in life and work there part-time. Full-time, however, is a different story.

Cons

Wegmans preaches that everyone has such a great opportunity to move up in the company, but I found that wasn't true. Upper management picked people they previously worked with at another store for all higher positions. If someone friendly with upper management applied for a position, it seemed they would always get the position over another candidate. Upper management (especially the store manager) is super fake nice but doesn't really want to get to know anyone new which is irritating. It's so obvious that they are trying to make Malvern into their old store

The schedule (for full time) is ridiculous. Everyday your schedule is totally different, so much so that your life literally revolves around working at Wegmans and honestly you aren't paid enough to have your life revolving around Wegmans! I understand that all shifts need to be covered but if Employee 1 has kids and likes to be out early and Employee 2 would rather sleep in and work the evening shift, why couldn't the manager make a schedule that accommodates both people? It seems the motto is "This is wegmans, we work crazy hours, Deal with it!" I think employees would be MUCH happier if the manager could sit with employees and see if they could work out a somewhat regular schedule while still covering all shifts.

Also, seriously can't Danny Wegman afford to give full-time employees lunch maybe just once a week? Or a $5 card towards lunch? How about some sort of discount around the holidays? That would really mean a lot. A coupon once in a while is okay but I think the employees deserve more!!!

Advice to Management

Try to actually get to know some people you don't know. Spend some time in different departments and observe how people work. Just because this person didn't work with you at your last store doesn't mean they aren't doing a great job in their department and could excel in a higher position. You are letting possible good long-term employees walk out the door frustrated because they feel like they have no chance of getting jobs vs. people you're friendly with.