Wegmans Food Markets - My Wegmans Experience | Glassdoor

"My Wegmans Experience"

Former Employee - Full-Time in Malvern, PA
Former Employee - Full-Time in Malvern, PA

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Wegmans is their ability to hire genuinely nice people. Even though I would get mad about different things about the job, my co-workers kept me wanting to come back. The majority of people working there are very sweet and you really grow to care about each other, after a while it does feel like a "family".

The training process was awesome and the knowledge you gain about your certain area is pretty impressive. I've gained so much knowledge that I know I'll use for a lifetime.

I would definitely recommend Wegmans for a person looking for a part-time job. I may even go back later in life and work there part-time. Full-time, however, is a different story.

Cons

Wegmans preaches that everyone has such a great opportunity to move up in the company, but I found that wasn't true. Upper management picked people they previously worked with at another store for all higher positions. If someone friendly with upper management applied for a position, it seemed they would always get the position over another candidate. Upper management (especially the store manager) is super fake nice but doesn't really want to get to know anyone new which is irritating. It's so obvious that they are trying to make Malvern into their old store

The schedule (for full time) is ridiculous. Everyday your schedule is totally different, so much so that your life literally revolves around working at Wegmans and honestly you aren't paid enough to have your life revolving around Wegmans! I understand that all shifts need to be covered but if Employee 1 has kids and likes to be out early and Employee 2 would rather sleep in and work the evening shift, why couldn't the manager make a schedule that accommodates both people? It seems the motto is "This is wegmans, we work crazy hours, Deal with it!" I think employees would be MUCH happier if the manager could sit with employees and see if they could work out a somewhat regular schedule while still covering all shifts.

Also, seriously can't Danny Wegman afford to give full-time employees lunch maybe just once a week? Or a $5 card towards lunch? How about some sort of discount around the holidays? That would really mean a lot. A coupon once in a while is okay but I think the employees deserve more!!!

Advice to Management

Try to actually get to know some people you don't know. Spend some time in different departments and observe how people work. Just because this person didn't work with you at your last store doesn't mean they aren't doing a great job in their department and could excel in a higher position. You are letting possible good long-term employees walk out the door frustrated because they feel like they have no chance of getting jobs vs. people you're friendly with.

Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

1. "Great hourly job for retired worker or students."

Current Employee - Cashier Front End in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier Front End in State College, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time

Pros

The stores are clean and well organized.Management tries to work with the associates available times.Cross training in different sections is a great reason if you look for advance in the store.

Cons

Working holidays and weekends.As a front end cashier you never get to attend the stretches that are so much pushed by Wegmans management to help with injuries to the back or shoulders.Sometimes the front end supervisor forget you have a break coming.And the break system is if working 5 hrs.you get a 15min paid break but working 6hrs. the cashier has to take a 30 min.lunch and this is not paid.

Advice to Management

Dress code needs to be more enforced with the younger associate.Front end leaders need to help out with bagging.The job is very stress full.The lunch break system need a up date giving 15mi breaks after four hours working and the 30 min lunch after six hours should be optional to a part time cashier.The lunch is for 8 hrs. If someone works less hours this feels like I give my time to the company.

"Wegmans is nothing like it used to be..there have been a lot of changes-most of them not for the better."

Current Employee - Overnight Grocery in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Overnight Grocery in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a safe and friendly work environment. The stores are clean. They offer flexable hours for part time employees.

Cons

Wegmans used to go by the rule of "Happy employees makes happy customers". They don't believe in this anymore. Everything has become about the dollar.

Advice to Management

I think my department managers do a good job. I can't speak for other departments.