Weight Watchers - My advice: Stay a member and do not work for the company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

"My advice: Stay a member and do not work for the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Working with Weight Watchers members and helping them with their healthy lifestyle. Interacting with members. Interacting with some friendly colleagues.

Cons

-MISLEADING MANAGEMENT: Know that you MUST work as a receptionist first and that there is a critical need, which Weight Watchers will not tell you (at least not the management chain I worked for). Not everyone wants to work as a receptionist and deal with all the paperwork involved, especially working at a traveler center, at-work meeting, or traditional meeting. Most meetings are NOT at retail walk-in centers, so know that if you work there, it will probably NOT be at a retail center. What does this mean? LOADS of paperwork, processing payments, working as a cashier, and setup for the meeting.
- PAPERWORK: Multiple pieces of paper need to be submitted for each meeting, unless you are one of the few who work at a retail center. There is TOO Much paperwork and for the most part, the company is a dinosaur when it comes to technology. There aren't even electronic credit card swipe machines available at most meetings, so everything is done by hand. This makes it a terrible experience for those who are at the "front lines" and supposed to be the "Face of Weight Watchers." Give me a break!
- MANUAL LABOR: Non retail meetings involve setting up and tearing down each meeting. This is ridiculous and probably not what you are thinking when you consider working at Weight Watchers. The management DOES NOT tell you this when you apply. The scales you have to lift and set down are heavy!
- UNCARING MANAGEMENT: Management really does not care about employees at all. You are just a number in this company.
- NO MORE MAGIC: The magic of being a member disappears when you begin working at this company for all the reasons listed above.

Advice to Management

Provide technology to ALL traditional, traveler and at-work meetings to eliminate all the paperwork.
Be truthful and honest with prospective employees. Do not mislead employees and tell them they can become leaders on the fast-track, because you know they have to "pay their dues" and do the grunt work of a receptionist first. Employees are angry and upset with Weight Watchers for a reason. Maybe it is time to conduct exit interviews to discover WHY people are leaving. Turnover is high because the job is terrible. For all the years I have been a Weight Watcher, I was and am satisfied with the program but working for the company the past few months has been a TERRIBLE experience!

Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers

"Flexible hours doing something that makes a difference in people's lives"

Former Employee - WW Receptionist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - WW Receptionist in Seattle, WA

Pros

You play a part in improving people's lives physically and psychologically. If you are struggling with weight issues yourself, there is great support to mange your own weight.

Cons

If you need time off, you have to find your own sub. Management not always helpful. It did not always seem fair about how classes were assigned.

Advice to Management

Having worked for WW for years, it seemed like there was a shift in the more recent years from being mostly about helping people lose weight to pushing products to make more money for the company.

"We treat members well , but not employees"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Washington, DC

Pros

Busy meetings, opportunity for good pay, however two tier payscale. Flexible hours, nice co-workers. Members make you feel good for helping them.

Cons

If you can't work you have to find your own sub for a meeting which can be very difficult to do. We are psychologists and life coaches for our members with very low pay for the tasks we perform.

Advice to Management

Pay us to compensate for the immense responsibility we have as the "face" of WW. Make us truly feel like members first. Let us put in for days off and management finds subs.