Weight Watchers - A Great Job to Make a Positive Impact! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

"A Great Job to Make a Positive Impact!"

Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Harrisonburg, VA
Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the job for you if you want to make a positive impact on people and motivate change! Service Providers (Leaders or Receptionists) at a local meeting location get great perks (employee discount on products, free WW magazine subscription) and many professional development opportunities. Working for WW is great if you are looking for part-time employment and the work is easy. Employees are "members first" and must maintain a personal weight goal that fit within prescribed WW program guidelines. It's great motivation to keep your own weight in check. I've gained job skills that have helped me in several different careers - presentational speaking, counseling, training, relationship-building, logistics, event planning, just to name a few.

Cons

This is not the job for you if you need to pay the bills. The wages and the hours just aren't there. It's not the most glamorous job either, you have to be willing to do a little grunt work. Many locations are in the Dark Ages technologically. Most importantly, you have to be a people person. REALLY. Weight-loss is an extremely personal endeavor and you have to keep a cool head and a positive attitude in front of members at ALL TIMES. Personally, you have to keep a good work-life balance and know how to play nice with others. Weight Watchers is a business, first and foremost, so recruiting and retaining members is a number one priority. The company is pretty heavy on policy and service consistency so it's probably not the best fit if you're the Lone Ranger type.

Advice to Management

To Corporate: Your Territory Managers are GOLD! Treat them well and pay them fairly. Give them the tools (i.e., technology) to do their jobs effectively.

Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers

"Fun job, not enough pay"

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You really do get to help people in an important way. Weight Watchers weight loss program really does work! The training is all paid time (minimum wage) and it is good training that transfers well to other jobs. The work is not very hard most of the time. The people you work with are wonderful. The job has dignity, and people respect you for doing it. You get a great staff discount on products, the program for free, and support in maintaining your weight goal.
    A great job for a mom, or retired person who just wants to work a few hours a week doing something good and doesn't really need the money.

Cons

There is a lot of unpaid work. You spend a few hours each week preparing for leading meetings, keeping up with company email, and ordering and packing up products if you lead meetings at workplaces. To compensate for that they offer 1 hour per month of pay at $.50 above minimum wage. They change the program every year and pay you to be retrained at minimum wage, this does take some time, and is hard to schedule around your second job, which you will need to pay the bills.
    They also expect a high level of customer service and professionalism, with very little corporate support. I frequently found myself dealing with customer service issues that I didn't cause and I couldn't fix, which was frustrating to the customers, whom I care about, and made a low paying, "fun" job more stressful than it was worth.
    There is no real career ladder. There are assistant to the Territory Manager jobs that amount to a handful of hours per week, doing important work, for $.50 above minimum wage per hour. Even if you work your way up to Territory Manger, you will be managing a very large number of employees (200ish) traveling frequently, and working way more than 40/wk for only about 50k a year.

Advice to Management

The job just isn't worth the pay. Meeting pay is good when you have large meetings, but that is not dependable. $.50 above minimum wage for all other duties is just not enough, $2 above minimum wage would be reasonable.

"Weight Watchers forces employees to take training at minimum wage"

Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Program, wonderful member interaction, excellent co-workers

Cons

Many required training sessions that are mandatory but paid at minimum wage. Often given during weekends. Lots of ancillary work required that is paid at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Any mandatory training should occur during normally scheduled work hours and should equate to a leader or receptionist's normal rate of pay. Also there should be pay for all the emails we are required to read during the week. Lastly Weight Watchers is a SERVICE. We have never been NOR should we EVER be, let alone refer to ourselves as a STORE. If we are our STORE we reduce our members to consumers. That is an egregious mis-step and I cannot fathom Jean Neidich would agree with this direction the company is taking. Our members are not stupid. They recognize this and we are doomed to lose them.