Weight Watchers - Weight Watchers forces employees to take training at minimum wage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

"Weight Watchers forces employees to take training at minimum wage"

Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Program, wonderful member interaction, excellent co-workers

Cons

Many required training sessions that are mandatory but paid at minimum wage. Often given during weekends. Lots of ancillary work required that is paid at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Any mandatory training should occur during normally scheduled work hours and should equate to a leader or receptionist's normal rate of pay. Also there should be pay for all the emails we are required to read during the week. Lastly Weight Watchers is a SERVICE. We have never been NOR should we EVER be, let alone refer to ourselves as a STORE. If we are our STORE we reduce our members to consumers. That is an egregious mis-step and I cannot fathom Jean Neidich would agree with this direction the company is taking. Our members are not stupid. They recognize this and we are doomed to lose them.

Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers

"Fun job, not enough pay"

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You really do get to help people in an important way. Weight Watchers weight loss program really does work! The training is all paid time (minimum wage) and it is good training that transfers well to other jobs. The work is not very hard most of the time. The people you work with are wonderful. The job has dignity, and people respect you for doing it. You get a great staff discount on products, the program for free, and support in maintaining your weight goal.
    A great job for a mom, or retired person who just wants to work a few hours a week doing something good and doesn't really need the money.

Cons

There is a lot of unpaid work. You spend a few hours each week preparing for leading meetings, keeping up with company email, and ordering and packing up products if you lead meetings at workplaces. To compensate for that they offer 1 hour per month of pay at $.50 above minimum wage. They change the program every year and pay you to be retrained at minimum wage, this does take some time, and is hard to schedule around your second job, which you will need to pay the bills.
    They also expect a high level of customer service and professionalism, with very little corporate support. I frequently found myself dealing with customer service issues that I didn't cause and I couldn't fix, which was frustrating to the customers, whom I care about, and made a low paying, "fun" job more stressful than it was worth.
    There is no real career ladder. There are assistant to the Territory Manager jobs that amount to a handful of hours per week, doing important work, for $.50 above minimum wage per hour. Even if you work your way up to Territory Manger, you will be managing a very large number of employees (200ish) traveling frequently, and working way more than 40/wk for only about 50k a year.

Advice to Management

The job just isn't worth the pay. Meeting pay is good when you have large meetings, but that is not dependable. $.50 above minimum wage for all other duties is just not enough, $2 above minimum wage would be reasonable.

2. "employees requesting a pay raise about 20 years overdue, told to wait about another year"

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time

Pros

flexibility of our schedules, nice to work with members from all walks of life. Satisfaction in members success. Some really nice co-workers.

Cons

lousy pay. no pay for extra duties such as preparation for At Work meetings, banking, extra paperwork needed to do your job. Only compensation for mileage over 40 miles, and our homes or apartments donated for free storage of Weight Watchers products. Meeting pay based on 2-1/2 hours, if meetings go over, no extra pay. Low meeting base pay.

Advice to Management

Monetary appreciation for you employees now, not the end of the year.