Weight Watchers - Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

"Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training"

Former Employee - Receptionist
Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

Cons

The pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense.

Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company.

In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably.

Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who
 were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Advice to Management

Field staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers

"Extremely disappointed and surprised."

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The members are the reason to work for Weight Watchers. These members are all battling to reach and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. It is really hard work and the fact that I succeeded in that quest gives me a unique vantage point from which to support their efforts.

Cons

There is too much unpaid work and expense. Too many leaders and receptionist are working for our franchise in Central Ohio that are not maintaining their weight and management looks the other way. The leaders at their weight with talent and skills are not given the option to do the meetings because they are amazing it is more a competition of popularity with the management. Yes people do very well but the program suffers. The procedures are outdated and take so much time. WWI doesn't pay well but our franchise pays even worse. WW preys upon the employees desire to give back and share what has changed their lives with members with emotional abuse. Understaffed, untrained staff, and a lack of vision is WW both the corporation and our franchise. In our franchise staff is often working for less than minimum wage. If you ask about pay and or working conditions the auto response is "Well we don't do this work for the money..." or "no one makes anyone do this work...." and WWI is not a non-profit. Leaving is hard because I find myself very committed to the members and I know the leader that might follow me could be terrible. I believe meetings are the single component that has led to WW being the most effective weight loss program for years. The meetings, leaders, and receptionist are the heart of the program.

Advice to Management

Initially, I want to say stop calling yourself management. I have to acknowledge that they managed to get me with all of my talent and skill set to work for them for about $8 an hour. That wage doesn't include the many hours of unpaid preparation and training. They are obviously very good at taking advantage of caring people.

"Most rewarding job I have had in 30 years. Pay doesn't reflect all the work involved."

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training program. Fun, positive, upbeat co-workers. Great perks--free magazine, ActiveLink, and Member Kit, plus 50% off meeting room products. WW provides leaders with tools, supplies and products for meetings at no charge. Independence--kind of like being your own boss. Full-time insurance benefits are excellent. WW is the best weight-loss/maintenance program--great product.

Cons

Pay at small meetings is minimum wage. Difficult to perform all tasks expected in time allotted at Traveler locations. Can be a lot of uncompensated travel time depending on meeting schedule. Inequitable pay between Traveler and CHAMP locations. Performance standards set with no input from staff expected to achieve them.

Advice to Management

Address the inequities between Traveler/CHAMP/Store locations. The number of tasks required in the allotted time for the same pay is way out of line. Let staff have input when setting meeting goals.