WellSpan Health - Phenomenal Employer | Glassdoor

"Phenomenal Employer"

Former Employee - 6 Job Titles In 20 Years of Employment in York, PA
Former Employee - 6 Job Titles In 20 Years of Employment in York, PA

I worked at WellSpan Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

WellSpan Health values its employees by offering competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a committment to work-life balance. When making decisions about its services, WellSpan Health considers the health care needs of the community, the current economic climate in health care in general and the welfare of its employees. It's never an easy juggling act, but WellSpan does an exceptional job!

Cons

Because WellSpan Health is such a fantastic employer, people tend to work for them for a long time. On occasion, this can lead some employees to avoid change and growth in favor of "the way we've always done things around here." This resistance to change can sometimes make WellSpan a challenging work environment when you have some employees who embrace change and others who dig in their heels and avoid change. Also, because employees do tend to stay with WellSpan for a long time (I worked there over 20 years), there is less opportunity for advancement that there would be in a company with a higher turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Sometimes individuals can't see the broader picture or take a long-term view. They think only of how something will impact them now. I would encourage WellSpan Management to continue it's forward-thinking approach to the evolution of the services WellSpan provides. Employees may rail at the changes in the short-term, but when they realize that the decisions made are in the higher good of all concerned (community, employees, the fiscal welfare and viability of the organization), they will settle down, adapt, grow, and become better health care providers in the long run.

Other Employee Reviews for WellSpan Health

"Mostly a positive experience with the exception of the past few years."

Pros

Great benefits. Massages are covered in the health plan and generous PTO time can be banked to 1 1/2 your annual amount.

Cons

Restructuring over past year or so has led to a lot of confusion with staff. Money (budget) seems more important than patient care and patient outcomes.

"I am finally home and amongst peers. Working as one!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for a handful of healthcare entities in the past and have found myself disappointed and somewhat jaded by my fellow workers in terms of professionalism and overall experience. When I joined Wellspan, I held my breath for months waiting for people to become unlikable or untrustworthy. I have been here for almost a year and I am proud to say just the opposite, nearly every healthcare worker I work with day to day is kind, compassionate, professional, dedicated to thier job. In a word, human. I feel I am with like people, and I do not feel like an outsider working here just because I care about my job. It is said that if everyone brings a dish to the table, we can all eat. I found a feast at Wellspan.

Cons

I have a long commute, but it's worth it. If you have been here less than 5 years and work during the daytime, you must park a few blocks away and take a shuttle in. For the job, even that is worth it. I wish I was paid more for my level of responsibility, but I believe (for my particular accolades, YMMV) you are paid according to your credentials and not the demands of the job itself.