Wells Fargo - Sr. Manager, Direct Marketing Campaigns, Data Operations | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wells Fargo

"Sr. Manager, Direct Marketing Campaigns, Data Operations"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teach and promote from within. Very supportive of all diversity; most active diversity council. Whole company spends 2 weeks doing charitable fundraising and volunteer work. Can spend your entire career here and do different jobs each couple of years. Great education and commuter subsidies

Cons

At the time, lack of ability to work remotely for most. That may have changed by now. Culture was somewhat old-fashioned.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance; focus on benefits that provide flexibility. Keep up the support of diversity and charitable giving. More matching of employee giving but that may have changed, too

Other Employee Reviews for Wells Fargo

1. "Corrupt Management, Cheating, Lies and Pressure"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the company has a lot of opportunities, and they do promote from within.

There are a lot of professionals within the company such as business partners (Mortgage, FA's, Insurance, Business etc) that are great to work with. Some of them have been doing this for a long time and you can learn a lot from them if this is your chosen career path. You will meet a lot of great professionals.

The only reason I give this company a 2 is because there are a lot of positions, and the company is growing. If you hit your numbers two quarters in a row, GET A PROMOTION and leave the banker position ASAP. That is your golden ticket. They will hire ANYONE for branch manager if you just hit your numbers, I have personally witnessed this.

Cons

Unfortunately, if you are in a sales/retail job,moving up or being recognized greatly depends on your numbers. Your numbers depend on your location, and the type of management you're under. If you get 'dealt a bad hand', you will have a very hard time reaching goals and getting a promotion. If you have bad management, you will never truly learn the job and it can be a carousel of coworkers because of the very high turnover. It's always best to stay positive and remain that way, and anyone can have stability here if you remain a professional and try to do your best without being a shady banker. I managed it and while some customers didn't like me because I wouldn't break the rules, I kept my integrity intact while I was there and do not regret anything.

Hitting your goals is being above average in every category, and usually this requires a couple quarters to fully understand the system that they grade you on. The best advice I can give you is to NEGOTIATE a high base salary because you never know where you may end up, and in the end if you end up not enjoying the job you won't be utterly disappointed that you won't be reaching certain goals. There are a lot of bankers that do not negotiate well enough for higher pay and are paid significantly less than the medium. Tellers play an important part in sales (believe it or not) and they are the real key to being successful. If you end up with a bum teller line, you may be heading for trouble because you will have to rely on a bad lead system with dialing, and walk ins.

I had the pleasure of seeing first hand some pretty toxic, corrupt management in my district. A lot of people cheat (or 'game') and hide it well. A branch manager was caught doing this for over two years and she was walked out by HR. She literally would open fake profiles, and even had the district manager covering for her so it would appear as if that branch, and more importantly our district didn't struggle. Multiple bankers were involved, and some even got PROMOTIONS from this, while producing these fake accounts. One of them is a Branch Manager today, and successfully cheated to get his job. The sales pressure is easily handled if you have some experience, but you could end up in a very intense micro-management system that does nothing but demotivate the entire team and drive people away.

The turnover rate in my district is astonishing itself, with bankers, tellers, and even store managers constantly leaving because of bad upper management and unrealistic expectations. On top of this, there is a constant battering of 'Why didn't you get this?' and asking you how many appointments you have every hour (not joking). If you new to a high pressure sales environment, BEWARE and do not trust many people because there is a lot of gossip throughout the company. I am sure this isn't true for all parts of Wells Fargo, but from what I have experienced in retail it can be a total nightmare.

There are a lot of people in higher positions that do not fully understand how it really is, and will constantly judge you. You may or may not be centered around great individuals, but like I stated before, it is all about the hand you are dealt. If you get a bad branch or district, most likely you will end up quitting pretty fast. Do not trust many and pay close attention to the interviews (especially with your future branch or district manager). Do not give people the benefit of doubt here.

Advice to Management

Human Resources needs to investigate most districts in Retail Banking.

2. "Short but sweet"

Former Employee - Home Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Home Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company values diversity, the management team was helpful in developing my skills, the incentives were great

Cons

This only applies to Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and not the entire company: The con is that as rates fluctuate, so do jobs. I was hired as part of a huge ramp up just to be laid off with thousands of others 8 months later. While the layoff was not performance based, it was still very discouraging and would make me think twice about entering the mortgage industry again.