Wells Fargo - Good overall, room for improvement, decent salary and work-life balance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wells Fargo

"Good overall, room for improvement, decent salary and work-life balance."

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, matching 401k, good work-life balance. Also many online training classes available. Very good retail customer service standards. My manager was in MN and I was in PA. He was not a micro-manager, so it was a fairly autonomous role. As long as I did my job, and answered his questions, he was satisfied.

Cons

Wells won the merger with Wachovia and they seemed intent on dismantling all of Wachovia's systems, even though they were superior in many cases. Benefits were reduced including less holidays, smaller bonuses, higher medical costs. From a work perspective, I felt like my talents were underutilized.

Other Employee Reviews for Wells Fargo

1. "Former Wachovia employee and then Wells Fargo bought us. Loved my job until the layoff..."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were chances for advancement while it was Wachovia. The culture of Wells Fargo wasn't the same and the insurance products offered compared to ours just wasn't as good. My team was displaced and it was awful to watch. The severance package was very good but layoff was during a time when the economy tanked and it was very difficult for any of us to find work.

Cons

Never sure if job is safe since the merger. Seems you are always hearing on the news about more layoffs when you think things are getting better. It's difficult to work when you are not sure your position is secure.

Advice to Management

None. During a merger, layoffs may be a necessary evil but when you are the one experiencing the lack of job security it is very stressful.

2. "Wells Fargo Home Mortgage is a good company to work for you have decent benefits and a fair wage."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, passionate about helping people get into homes. In Cleveland, we did it right. We had great talent and they worked hard to make the benchmarks and close loans. In a big company you have good benefits: eye and dental, and a fair match on 401K.

Cons

Too many laws changes, so much especially in the last 3-5 years. It causes a lot of internal changes, checks balances. It's like the basics have been missed (encrypted security, solid structure, vision to the entire team) we were the last to convert to our own system. They still don't have banks in Cleveland (crazy) and there's been a presence here for over 25 years.

Advice to Management

You have let a lot of good talent go (displaced) across the country. I hope those leaders you have in place that made these decisions, make the cut. There were other options, especially for seasoned underwriters: working from home, you let years and years of government experience walk out of the door. It's hard to grow your own with the work force out here. Young people who don't know or understand the value of homeownership. The same goes for closers and I think it was the beginning of the end when you moved processing into the field. They need to be back inside with supervisors who know processing and can help them (in theory I understand you thought you were taking seasoned processors but its not working). Sales doesn't want to manager processing no matter what they say.

Time will tell, I hope you get someone in position who has a CLEAR vision of the future and can fix this mess you have made of your production centers. I understand the centralization, but the decisions to close some of the good solid performing offices seemed a bit irritational. I think other options could have been utilized before you took that step. Not disgrunted just disgusted.