Wells Fargo - Great company to work for if you're a competitive person who enjoys sales | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wells Fargo

"Great company to work for if you're a competitive person who enjoys sales"

Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Lincoln, NE
Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Lincoln, NE

Pros

1. Great Benefits
2. Competitive company
3. One of America's Great Companies
4. Receive incentives for sales
5. Depending on management, Awesome!

Wells Fargo is a great company that has opportunities abound, the company is so solid I am proud to say that I work for Wells Fargo.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that people who are not competitive or strive to be the best, like myself, may not love this job as much as me. The constant talk of sales may wear on some, but if you approach it as providing solutions to your customers, like we are doing, then it's a cakewalk.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can say that I see as a problem down the road is that unless we keep coming out with new and better products, we may possibly oversatuarate the market with our products. Certain district managers need to understand that there are branches that do not receive as much traffic and cannot stand a chance to accomplishing as many sales as another branch that may receive twice the traffic and opportunity.

Other Employee Reviews for Wells Fargo

"Great place to work if you can get in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- reasonable work hours
    - great coworkers
    - for the most part, amazingly talented senior management
    - work/life balance
    - good benefits
    - consistently revenue generating company
    - little to no office politics

Cons

- miscommunication between upper management trickling down
    - pay scale

Advice to Management

- make some minor improvements to the restructuring plan and stop using the run "lean and mean" mentality.

"Not a Place to Start A Career"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Reno, NV

Pros

This is a sales job. Not a banking job but a sales job. If you go into it knowing this, you won't be disappointed with the work itself. The pay is very generous considering this is a retail sales job. You do not need a business degree (or any college at all) or even any experience in banking . They don't drug test and the background checks aren't the most through. It's a retail job but one that pays very well. The benefits are okay. There are better packages out there but again it's a glorified retail sales job so yes it is generous of them to offer health insurance and the PTO is very nice.

Moving up is easy if you do well and make nice with the higher ups.

Cons

There is a reason they throw so much money at bankers when you don't need any banking experience or formal training to get the job. The turnover is very very high. People who can get out, usually choose to do so. Wells Fargo doesn't require any formal education, they don't conduct drug tests when hiring, and their background checks aren't through. People who cannot pass these barriers at other places of employment tend to remain instead of moving on from Wells Fargo and so through the years the concentration of people who are "trapped" grows.

Ethics are lacking especially in management. Competition between co-workers is encouraged and often turns sour. Insecurities run very high so it can be pretty cutthroat, if you plan on doing well you better grow thick skin and get used to dealing with passive aggressive attacks. It's a lot like high school and if you go into it realizing this will you'll be better prepared to handle what you see. It's not a fun place to work and again there's a reason the turn over is so high and just remember there's a reason some people have to remain there for years despite hating their jobs.

Advice to Management

2) Take ethics more seriously especially amongst management and start drug testing and doing a better job checking backgrounds. Instead of throwing more money at bankers address the work environment.

Ethics training needs improvement. Management often takes advantage of naive newcomers. There is no support if you want to be an ethical banker just a guidebook that doesn't address specific situations, You need a banker connection option for ethics questions.

Right now, reporting violations is pointless. Nothing gets done but it does get back to your manager. Confidentiality is a joke even if you repeat several times you do not want this getting back to your manager, it will. Managers should be trusted to provide ethical guidance.

3) Have a zero tolerance policy for harassment or bullying. Ask any banker who is or was #1 will tell you they received hostile treatment from co-workers and that is why so many "top" people leave. Deal with harassment in a timely manner and train managers on how to deal with it properly and to take it seriously. Warn newcomers about this ahead of time because it is not the norm in most industries. Many successful bankers leave the company because they were scarred by one bad experience. There should not be an incentive to do poorly at work if only to avoid workplace conflict.

4) Wells Fargo is too inbred. The biggest gamers are the ones that are the closest to higher ups. They should not feel so protected.