There are newer employer reviews for Wesser

"Gave a new perspective on how to communicate to individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Pros

The pay is good, a chance to see and meet many different people and towns, a chance to travel, converse and build bridges, lots of fun :)

Cons

Not all people at the door are friendly, must learn to have a tough skin sometimes, a lot of energy and endurance must be put in, sometimes working late shifts.

Advice to Management

Great teamwork, friendly faces and treatment of employees was good. Perhaps better communication between employees in the future as to when and where each shift starts, and with whom.

Other Employee Reviews for Wesser

1. "Well taken care of, big lacks of communication"

Current Contractor - Charity Fundraiser in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Charity Fundraiser in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wesser as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great accommodation, ethical job, clear payment structure, amazing incentives. You can make friends for life while working for Wesser. The rules are clear, hit your target of 15 within few days, you will be able to take as much time of as you like and will be rewarded.

Cons

The management will never tell you what will happen to you, you will never know where you will work, at what time you'll start and at what time you'll finish. If you don't hit target they may keep you for a bit but one day they can ask you to pack and leave within a couple of hours. Some manager will lie to make you stay, promising you training or incentives that will never happen.

Advice to Management

Keep the team posted on the plans, don't lie to them

2. "There must be a catch... and there is."

Current Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in London, England (UK)

Pros

The free accommodation. My accommodation was fantastic and I was lucky enough to be in a house with Sky & Broadband. The fund-raising itself is very ethical in the sense that it is not pushy and all of the fundraising costs are covered by gift aid over the course of an average donation. If you are good at door to door fund-raising you can make a lot of money from it! There are also opportunities to go abroad with the company if you rank in their top 10 fund raisers for the month.

Cons

Throughout the entire application and interview stage I was thinking that there must be a catch as it all sounded too good to be true.. and yes there are a few things that aren't made clear to you until you actually start the job. Firstly it is advertised as 35 hours a week - 7 hours a day across 5 days right? Nope. Hours are actually worked out based on how many doors you knock on... 30 doors knocked = 1 hours pay. An average day entails meeting downstairs at 10.30 for training before leaving the house at 11.30 and not getting back till 9.00-9.30ish. You can't be paid for more than 35 hours a week either. Secondly I was explicitly told that weekends would be my own to do with as I wish... this is only true if you get 15 sign ups (people to agree to a direct debit donation) by Friday. If you don't get them you have to work Saturday & Sunday as well.. it is not uncommon to work 14+ days in a row. Thirdly there is a lot of job in-security, you are only as good as your last week of work.. You have to get 15 sign ups totalling £1050 in donations every week. If you do not manage to hit this target for 2 consecutive weeks then you will be asked to leave the company. If you do get through the interview stage you will be told to attend a training day and bring £100 to see you through to your first pay day, I would advise bringing more than that as there are expenses.. e.g. you do have to pay for your own petrol which is £10 a week, and the first pay day could potentially be 8 weeks away! Not everyone was as lucky with the accommodation as I was. Some of the other accommodations have shared bedrooms (which would be a definite deal breaker for me) There is no guarantee as to where you will be placed, so it is really pot luck whether you get a nice accommodation or not! Staff turnover in this job is huge. There is the opportunity to be a company driver and you get paid an extra £25 - £50 more each week (depending on how many sign ups you get) - I would strongly advise waiting a week or two before taking this responsibility on. As it does mean you have to run people around and work even longer hours than you already are (particularly if you are in the middle of nowhere and people need picking up/dropping off from train stations or taking to the supermarket). In my opinion it wasn't worth the extra weekly money.

Advice to Management

As one of Wesser's key aspects is honesty, I think it is crucial that employees/potential employees are also given full disclosure of exactly what the job does entail from an early point. So many people turn up after the training day with false information about the job, and I think turn over would be seriously reduced if certain things were made more clear from an early stage.