West Corporation - CSR in Pensacola, FL | Glassdoor

"CSR in Pensacola, FL"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours and good assistance from SME's and Team Leaders. Fair pay and friendly co-workers. After a few months, rewards for good performance were distributed to the representatives.

Cons

At times, floor leaders and supervisors were a little too ready to "pin" when a pin was not the appropriate response. They were encouraged to behave in this manner by the company in order to accomplish certain goals that were not brought out into the open through company communications.
For example, the dress code was not always fairly applied. This created a feeling of "fear" that was unwarranted and made the environment difficult to understand unecessarily.

Appropriate advancement opportunities were not available to those qualified as much as those who had the right inside connections. Some people who qualified for advancement opportunities would not accept them due to the requirements of the job.

English is the only language permitted on the floor in Pensacola because upper management and quality control do not understand any language other than English. As a Pensacola call center representative, I was threatened with disciplinary action if I used a language other than English on a call. Any indications that the Pensacola call center allows bilingual business communications for employees professional prepared to use another language is not true. The use of another language is restricted to a "chosen" few who appear to be chosen based on popularity and location rather than ability.

Asking the company where they conduct international business is frowned upon, ignored and kept secret. If you ask to many times there are people on the floor that will work to remove you through the use of pins. This conduct was permitted on the floor.

Many computers were not working. Work stations that did not work were not labeled as non-working stations on the floor. Once you sat at a non-working computer station it was difficult to move because there were few stations that worked well and if you moved without floor supervisor approval because your computer station was not working, you were subjected to discipline. You were, therefore, subjected to taking calls from customers while using non working equipment and you were not permitted to excuse yourself to the caller by stating that the equipment was failing. Many times the calls were escalated calls that were intolerable due to the anger of the caller and the rep was obligated to handle the call without the use of the tools on a computer.

Advice to Management

I believe the company would benefit from applying hiring policies that places employees who are ready, willing and able to perform professionally on the call center floor. This would make the initial training sessions one that would allow a new employee to focus on learning the requirements of the job, rather than how to cope with co-workers that require discipline. I was surprised to be included in a group of people who did not respect the fact that an employer was paying them to learn, but rather expected payment for blatant disrespect showing the employer they had no intentions of taking the presentations seriously from day one.

As an educator, I would not allow a new employee who required discipline in a pre-employment training session to continue to the work floor unless company policy dictated differently.

As an educator, I would consider it my responsibility to make sure that the training sessions prepared a new employee to handle their first call with knowledge and confidence. Instead the initial calls were received by many new employees with shock and an inability to understand how to proceed. Training is not appropriately utilized when this is the end result.

During training, how the course materials were used by each was left up to the discretion of the new employee and they had to fend for themselves if they wanted to take the training seriously. Employees who prefered to socialize, joke and distract others were well accepted as people that are well-liked and funny. While employees that wanted more information about the company and the job were ignored and promptly shut down.

Other Employee Reviews for West Corporation

"Nice people, but the company is cheap."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Lots of opportunities to keep you busy
    * Cafeteria on-site (in Omaha, NE)
    * Quality coworkers
    * Sound financials

Cons

* Before joining, the corporate staff had gone three years without raises.
    * The healthcare is over-priced for what it is.
    * Management will leap over dollars to pick up dimes

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you train them and pay what they are worth, they won't leave.

2. "A lot of undeserved bad reputation!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at West Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was pretty good
    Management was great
    Compressed work week
    lots of overtime

Cons

The building was old and kinda warn out (not their fault)
    Very colorful employees

Advice to Management

The only reason I left was the severe lack of opportunity. I would recommend throwing your bottom line employees a bone once in awhile. Better yet, send someone from the corporate office to boost moral! I would have stayed with this company indefinitely if only I had just a little recognition. Anything would have done guys, you could have given me a coffee mug and I would have been content.